1986 Weber Genesis 2 - Brown Restoration

MarkSiebel

TVWBB Fan
The BEAST is done!! and YES.. It will be staying in my personal collection. THANKS to all who gave me advisement from this forum on various needed tips, labor, parts, cleaning supplies, tools, etc. Per date stamp on inside lid, and some advisement from Weber, this is a 1986 Genesis 2 w/ added side burner. 1 owner Grandma from Surprise, AZ. Restored to original specs (see 1st pic. advertisement - THX! to Chris & Jon!) with red cedar fence post slats from Home Depot, red button side burner igniter, nickel push nuts for tank scale glide axle, and NO end Z bracket for swing table. Luckily, minimal rust so had no big issues w/ having to swap out side frames, tubing inserts, etc. Did have to swap out a ft. grill box panel with another perfect condition one I had from spare parts. NO gas leaks, runs like a champ! Lid, grease trays, control panel, and side burner cover cleaned up close to brand new with over cleaner.

Great job. I like it a lot. Is that lid more of a burnt orange color than red?

Great job. I like it a lot. Is that lid more of a burnt orange color than red?

?? who knows?? Per Weber brochure that Chris posted...this series of 1st origin Gen 2's 85-92 came in black/red/brown...so...i've seen faded red? but this I think is brown?

Looks awesome. I really like the colors and looks like you used the original handle. The only "enhancement" I might recommend: round off the edges on the wood of the flip-up shelf. These sharp edges might cause some bruises sooner or later. I have bumped into the edges of my thermoset tables before ...

Mark,
Fantastic job on that rare Weber.

And yes...definitely Brown..I have two Weber's in that very same color.

Jeff

That is an interesting color. I have yet to come across one. I have had burgundy brown, dark brown but not that lighter color of brown. I wonder if they only made that back in the Genesis 1,2,3... days. Great restore.

Mark,
That is just totally awesome! I guess I will always be a collector who flips to fuel my habit rather than a really good flipper like Bruce and Dave in KC to name a couple. So my heart is with you on keeping and maintaining this historic piece of Weber history. I love the wood. It is nice to see cedar with such beautiful grain.

I recently bought a Genesis I owners manual on eBay. It is old but not back to very early I’s with the wide slats. The seller threw in a 1990 Genesis color brochure as a bonus...so cool! The brochure clearly stated that the Genesis I, II and III grills as well as the Jr. were available with hoods in red, black or “chocolate.” The Genesis IV and V at that time had the gray or burgundy hoods with pinstripes. The wood slats on these were stained gray rather than being wood color.

Yours is obviously the correct chocolate color featured in the beautiful introductory advertisement you attached. You did a beautiful job. Thanks for sharing the fruit of your hard work!

Jon, I would love a stable of grills as well. I just can't justify it with my situation. I could probably have a few of them without the wife complaining, but I just personally can't do it. Like on that Skyline. I was thinking, damn, it would be nice to keep that sucker. But then, I look at it and think, hmmmm, I can buy a lot of grills and parts for rehabbing with that $400. LOL.

And, I know the first time I used it, it would become, well "used".

Very nice work. I especially like the side burner. Never saw one like that. I think that would be much nicer than the later ones.

Could post some more photos of the side burner. That does look interesting. Also, I just noticed the BLACK knobs. Are those original?

Could post some more photos of the side burner. That does look interesting. Also, I just noticed the BLACK knobs. Are those original?

** Jon ** GREAT find on the Gen 1 owners manual!! If theres anyway you could snapshot the schematics and parts included pages that would be awesome!!! Here are more pics of side burner AND yes, original black control knobs. I've found these black
knobs to be on the 85-92 Gen 1-2 and Gen Jr.s. ALSO: since were all weber geeks, I've also included some pics off this Gen 2 that identify it as VINTAGE early weber gas grill...i.e.....screw/bolt on swing table hinge support bracket, rear support rod holder, black control knobs, square 4 insert clip catch pan holder, control panel rocker switch w/ NO bracket--it has a hair pin cotter on back that inserts into attachment clip, and my personal favorite, metal LP fuel indicator.

Thanks for those pics. I have never had my hands on one of those and those pictures are very interesting. Were the black knobs stock?

Thanks for those pics. I have never had my hands on one of those and those pictures are very interesting. Were the black knobs stock?

hummm....good Q:? I believe so? I've never seen them on any other newer Gen models...and all of these older models have had them..so...I'm thinking yes? Jon...any pics/color ID in your GEN 1 owner manual to confirm BLACK knobs?

Back