The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping

Thread: 14.5 Capacity Size

Question 14.5 Capacity Size

Hi
    I have seen the Weber graphics on capacity of the WSM. But was hoping for some real world feedback.

How large of a brisket can you fit on a 14.5? I assume it would be just the flat, and a full packer will not fit. I also assume pork butts will fit, smaller ones at least, and ribs would have to be cut and on a rack.

I have a 22.5 Performer with a SNS and an old 22.5 Kettle, though I need to replace the sweeps, as they are rusted and the wing nut broke off and I do not have a Dremel to cut it off, a project for another day.

I cook mainly for myself, the rest of the family would rather have chicken, chicken nuggets or pot pies than beef and pork, (other than ribs), but occasionally will cook for extended family, maybe 12-15 people.

I guess the question is, am I better off sticking with what I have than getting a 14.5 WSM?

SO CONFUSED
    Green Gen3 Performer Platinum OneTouch Silver Genesis Silver 18.5” WSM

I've done briskets around 15lb. I cut them in half and put each piece on one of the racks. For pork, I usually do butts around 7 lb., again, one on each rack. You could go a bit larger as long one is thin enough to fit the bottom rack.

Brisket is about the only think I haven’t cooked on my 14. But cutting in half and placing one on each rack would make sense. I have cooked a lot of
    Pork butts on mine however. I can squeeze a 9 pounder on the top rack no problem. 7ish seems to be the max for the bottom rack. I do beef ribs often also and just cut to size for the racks. You can also roll pork ribs to keep from cutting them.

As for your other question the WSM and kettles are Two different beasts. If it is an option I would keep the kettles you have and get the 14 WSM. Sky’s the limit there. Smoking and grilling.
    Save a Salmon...EAT MORE BEEF Beef it's what's for dinner!

Low and slow is easier on the WSM. Hot and fast on the kettle but I have done low and slow on it. I have both and they make a killer combination. I suspect that you have the WSM itch and it.s almost impossible to ignore.
    Old dog, learning new tricks - one cook at a time :-). -14.5" and 18.5" WSM, SS Performer, CB Rotisserie, Rec Tec Mini Pellet Grill

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Newby View Post
    Low and slow is easier on the WSM. Hot and fast on the kettle but I have done low and slow on it. I have both and they make a killer combination. I suspect that you have the WSM itch and it.s almost impossible to ignore.
    You are correct...lol.
    Green Gen3 Performer Platinum OneTouch Silver Genesis Silver 18.5” WSM

If you cook mainly for yourself the 14.5 should be a perfect fit!