What A Wreck!

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Since my wife has now noticed my crazy Sunbeam acquisition:eek:, I decided to give in to my curiosity and start doing SOMETHING with it! Either get it fixed up or scrap it, but DON'T leave it in the backyard to continue to gather rust and questions:p.

KIjFRQQ.jpg

This is a VERY SMALL grill. When you start disassembling it you get that much more respect for Weber. The parts on this thing are pretty flimsy. The central post houses the simple manifold and igniter. The box like structure is made of some kind of galvanized metal and so had little rust. BUT, it is spot riveted together with no provision to open up! I don't know if they figured when these things failed the grill would be headed for the junk yard or whether they really felt you could just reach in to access these parts.

e9z2ys0.jpg

Good luck getting a wrench in there...With a lot of finagling I finally got the old igniter nut to loosen and was able to remove with my hand. The manifold was easier as the screw that holds it in was on the outside. I found it in pretty good shape and just cleaned it up.

The rest of the grill is pretty much a wreck:

9ot7fJu.jpg

Cte7ott.jpg

8NFM6qO.jpg

Ahh, but that is what makes what we do fun;)! I managed to get it all apart, having to cut off a couple hopelessly frozen screws that held the fire box to the post. I had to park working on the cast aluminum box and lid for another day due to rain and other commitments. I decided to concentrate on assessing whether the burner could be replaced with a leftover Broilmaster "bow-tie" burner I still have. It isn't new, but it wire brushed halfway decently and the flame holes look clean. The "venturis" on the Sunbeam go straight down to the manifold, unlike the Broilmaster ones which have the more common 90 degree bend.

I was happily surprised to find that I could remove the venturi tubes from the pretty much shot Sunbeam burner (stainless but 430 and very thin and old) and install them on the Broilmaster burner. I will still need to come up with something to support the Broilmaster burner inside the firebox since the supports on it were part of the venturi assembly I removed. I am thinking just a couple steel corner brackets set sideways underneath just to give it something to rest on.

I mentioned how thin and cheap the parts are compared to Weber. This is true of the logo. It is metal, at least, and attaches to the hood just like Weber does. It is much thinner, though.

JwIfqZx.jpg

I plan to start out by painting black and then doing the sand off to reveal the lower part that says "Grillmaster" and has an outline. For the SUNBEAM word logo itself, I am thinking about leaving the high heat black paint on it and then painting over with regular gold paint which is what I kind of remember Sunbeam's logo being and what it actually apppears to have been. I will then overlay with some clear brake caliper paint. I am hoping by "sandwiching" the regular paint between high heat stuff that it will last at least a little while.

hR0yMrx.jpg

I will post some more pictures and updates as I find time to get somewhere on this crazy project.

Last edited:
This is going to be an interesting build to follow, but I don't think it is one I would want to undertake.
Are there any parts that are going to need replacing other than the burners? Do you have a source?

Yeah, actually there are several places online that sell old Sunbeam parts. I bought both halves of the igniter assembly, two knobs and the lower grate that holds the lava rock (in my case ceramic tiles). I got all of that from River-bendhome.com for $28 and free shipping!

I salvaged a regulator with a modern adapter from a Brinkman grill being thrown away. River-bend has a new grate, but it is thin chrome plated steel:p...I have a plan instead for recycling a set of OEM Weber stainless bar grates by hopefully cutting them down - WAY DOWN- to fit this tiny grill. I am doing my best to keep this on the cheap;)!

Last edited:
Sounds like you are going about it sensibly Jon. Good luck.

By the way, are the igniters on those basically the same as the old style Piezo igniters on Webers?

Yes, the button part looks just like the Weber one. I thought about trying to improvise and use one of Weber ones, but it was so cheap to buy a new set that I figured I would be better off saving the Weber ones for my backlog of Genesis projects.

If anyone can pull this rabbit out of the hat it would be you Jon. Good luck and I'll be watching.

Jon I'm amazed you could find parts like the igniter for a sunbeam grill that old. There must be some people out there keeping their old sunbeams going.

I had one of those in my backyard that someone left and I set it on the curb. Someone took it to scrap it. I've still got a super old Charmglow out in my shed. It was one of those permanent grill types that hooks up to natural gas line. I was told by everyone in the family that line wasn't hooked up anymore. Well, the pole it was on rotted and the whole thing fell over and I found out it was still hooked up. I made the mistake of calling the gas company who promptly showed up and took my meter until the house was up to code and told me to call a plumber.

Probably about 1500 once it was all said and done, and I no longer have the built in gas space heater in the bathroom wall. The plumber wouldn't hook it back up. I loved that thing. That said the house is pretty old and there were gas pipes going to various rooms that were capped off after they installed central heating. It probably needed to get done, but the surprise of it all, SUCKED! They reran pipes to the heater, the water heater and the stove and the main line to the gas main.

I made the mistake of calling the gas company who promptly showed up.

At my previous house, the meter was in the basement. One one pipe coming from the meter, there was some sort of black tape on the threads. If you put your nose to it, you could smell gas.

They came over within an hour to replace the meter and the piping attached to it. They definitely take gas leaks seriously.

Yep I remember when I was a kid my (now late friend) had the gas meter inside the house. It exploded and burned down half the house. Gas co came and got the meter and never said a word but they put the new meter outside. Of course this was back in the early mid 60's when the first thing out of a persons mind wasn't "lawsuit". His parents were simple kind immigrants (Sweden and Wales) and they didn't use the "blame" card for everything. Too bad though, they could have owned the gas co

Back