Porchetta for Christmas

JoeE

Hi!

I'm going to make Porchetta for Christmas day this year. I have never made this before and I have a few questions,
1. If I make it Christmas eve how can I warm it up the next day and have it tasting fresh like it was just cooked?
2. I have an 18.5" WSM smoker and an DigiQ to keep my temp up in the smoker. I am using Kingsford charcoal and some chunks of Apple wood for smoke. If I keep the temp at 250-300 until the internel team reaches 110 on the smoker and then bring it into the house and put it in the oven at 400 will it finish nicely in there?
3. Should I keep it on the smoker and finish it there at 400 100%?

I am planning on letting the internal temp finish at 140. I will smoke for the first 3 hours at 250 and then ramp it up to 400. It is for my family of 14 for the day and I have a 12-13# piece of meat. Please let me know if there is anything I am not thinking of or missing in my cook. I have been smoking on the WSM for the past 3 years and smoking meats for over 15 on various other cookers.

I think the “Eve” smoke with finishing in the oven isn’t a bad idea but, we’re it me, I’d try to time it all out for a “late start” so you can finish in the oven at serving time. That’s just me.
I’ve wanted to do a whole beast porchetta for years! I have just gotten lucky with a Mexican butcher shop opening about a block and a half from me, they say they can get me any size pig I want! All the way from suckling to full size hog! Yay!

I don't know anything about Porchetta but I'll guess that you'll get more responses to this in the Barbecuing forum. You might ask Chris to move it for you.

Back