Two-Potato Shepherd's Pie

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
I've been wanting to do this recipe for a while now and with the cold nights and mornings we've been having I decided to give it a go. This recipe makes enough for two pies and rather than splitting the recipe, I took their advice and froze one for another time. Here's the pic's.

The Veggies. Mushrooms, carrots, celery, onion and garlic.

enhance

My wife's been doing a lot of holiday baking in the kitchen so I cooked five large russets outside on my camp stove.

enhance

Added some spicy brown mustard, brown sugar, rice vinegar and salt and pepper. Stirred and mashed the potatoes.

enhance

One pound of ground beef and half pound of bulk pork sausage.

enhance

Added the veggies to the meat mixture.

enhance

Cooked until the meat was no longer pink and the veggies were soft.

enhance

Then added orange juice,

enhance

Divided.

enhance

Added the mashed potatoes.

enhance

Cooked one and froze the other.

enhance

Please excuse the most boring plate shot I've ever posted!

enhance

Having said that, this was absolutely delicious. The fresh squeezed orange juice put the flavor over the top. We ate nearly one whole pie between us. Already looking forward to pie number two. Thanks for looking everyone!

I can just imagine how great that must have tasted. I especially like that you finished it on your grill for that added flavor profile.

Orange juice... in a shepherd's pie. A little acid will frequently make food taste better. Might have to give this one a whirl. That plate looks awfully good.

My shepherd's pie has a little Irish whisky in it.

I've done shepherd's pie before but never used orange juice. Will have to give that one a try.

I use Christopher Kimball's recipe from _The Yellow Farmhouse Cookbook_, by the Cooks' Illustrated folks.

Those are two fine shepherd's pies you cooked. Great winter fare, for sure. The OJ is a must try ingredient. Will include some next time.

Barb posted just ahead of me on this thread, she liked what she saw so I googled the recipe and we took a look at it and it's on next weeks menu. Can't wait to try it.

I'd attached the link to the recipe above Rich. Sorry for your extra work finding it. I think you'll like it.

No problem Cliff, you do more than your fair share of posting your recipes for the rest of us to see. Barb and I have done a lot of your recipes and have liked them all and I'm sure this one will be the same.

Back