Rib roast cut into ribs, caps, and a roast

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
I've cut ribs from rib roasts before to get some good meaty ribs, but never removed the cap.
Aldi this week has bone-in Choice grade rib roasts for $5.99/lb. so I figured why not try this on cheap meat.
This one weighed 5.6/lbs.

To my surprise the ribs had already been cut except for a hinge.

I ended up with 3 fairly meaty ribs that will get cooked with a brisket or butt for a snack, one 3 lb. roast, and 13 ounces total of cap steaks. I also trimmed off excess fat.
This looks to be on the low side of Choice, but I once cooked a Select rib roast that came out excellent.
I'll try to remember to post as I cook each one, for now they're being frozen.

I've missed seeing your posts Bob. Those photos look absolutely marvelous. You've tweaked my interest in Cap Steaks. I'll be eager to see the outcome of each of the cooks, particularly the caps. I'm doing a rib roast in a couple of weeks. There's some pretty good prices popping up in stores right now. I think I'll pick up an extra roast and try my hand at this down the road.

Jewel has choice grade bone in prime rib for 4.99/LB right now. On sale for one week. I stock up every year for this price. Got a full rack 19 LBS and split into 3 last night. Tis the season!!

Looks like you're going to have some great cooks coming up Bob. I've got two 2 bone rib roasts in the freezer, never had just rib caps before, sounds excellent though. I might give it a try when I cook the next one.

Some awesome looking meat Bob. Looking forward to the cooks keep us posted. Like Rich said will have to give the rib caps a try.

Looks good. I been waiting for Market Street to put theirs on sale. Like to cut into thick steaks. Are you the one I got that venison roll up meatloaf recipe from years ago? I just love it but have to use beef as dont get venison anymore.

Good job prepping that meat Bob. At our local Costco they've sold sirloin cap steaks. Can't say I know much about that cut, but they grilled up really nicely and we'll have them again.

Back