Summit Platinum D4

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
A guy not too far from me has been trying to unload this 4-burner Summit Platinum on OfferUp. Because it is a Platinum with an all stainless frame and lower cabinetry, it did catch my eye.

XiIFIpZ.jpg

The level of care, though, doesn't look promising. Especially when he says one of the burners is "a little off". Missing thermometer, broken and missing rotisserie, warped rods on grate...

jt5dD32.jpg

You do have to like the all stainless cabinetry. Even with apparently less than great care, it looks ready to go with just a little cleaning. If the Genesis 300 series grills had been made this way (as they SHOULD have been - at least as an option) their reputation would be totally different:

fb98P6W.jpg

$200 doesn't seem to be moving it. Certainly not low enough to evaluate firebox in person and see if the grill has flip potential. I suppose in time he might get a little desperate. My wife has been pretty adamant that I better not bring home anything else, and even if I did there are some others out there that appeal to me more. So this is brought to you mainly for curiosity.

https://offerup.com/item/detail/589329211/

p.s. I know some of you report that OfferUp is not very active in your areas, but around here it is starting to dominate. FaceBook Marketplace does have some really interesting items unique to that site, but OfferUp is still the busiest.

Last edited:
That is an interesting grill with rehab potential. If the firebox was good, then I think you would have something. I think fully restored you could ask $400-$500 for that. But, I probably would offer $100 or less. He is probably getting tired of storing it as it sounds like it isn't cooking real well as it sets.

Here is one in GA for less to far away to look at it for me but I would have loved to take a look at it. However with all the horror stories on these models really don't think it would be worth the effort. Do I love the look of them you bet and who knows what this thing sold for when new. Not sure the average person would even know what it was, been sitting for a month and they have an issue the ignitor does not work and I don't know these grills guessing they were battery fed but no idea.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/hsh/d/weber-grill-used/6739477248.html

Another nice looking grill from the photo. Better than a lot of Silver Cs I see around here for $150+

The one in Georgia looks to be much better cared for. The big selling point of the one near me is the Platinum upgrades with the all stainless frame and cabinet.

Brian,
When it comes to Summits, this model is to me a whole lot better than the monstrous current version. As I mentioned, the rare, two year only, Platinum version with its high grade stainless frame and cabinetry is one of the better grills Weber made. The one nagging problem is the front of the firebox. Some have reported that at least some of these Summits had stainless fronts for their firebox. With that, or retrofitting a Summit with a stainless front, and you have one really great grill.

If I really thought I could resell for $400+ I would at least checkout the Platinum. I am still kind of dubious.

What do you guys think about thid model? The pictures don't give much to go on.

Check out this Gas weber for $200 on OfferUp https://offerup.co/tDBy71J3CS

Jason,

That is the Summit Platinum 6 burner. My comments above would apply to it, except now you have a really big grill. If the rear infrared works, the rotisserie is present and the firebox is intact, I would say that it looks like a very fair deal to me. Those grates are definitely amazing!

This version is NOTHING like the current version Summit which I hate. They are, in my opinion, bloated monsters and a nightmare beyond the skill of at least this elf to restore. Ask me how I know...or better yet ask my wife!

Last edited:
Jon
Bare in mind the flavorizer bars alone are about $250 and they tend to be troublesome. And one has to wonder *** did the person do to bend 3/8" stainless steel bars?! More importantly how can you get them back to shape? As for fire box issues they are far less on this model as the front panel has a stainless insert where the older and newer models were just plain steel and rusted out plus you can still get a new fire box unlike the 1st gen Summit. So with the addition of the smoke burner, and IR rotisserie burner you now have what the newer Genesis grills should have been all along. So IMO if you were to want to get this grill and a resale price of $400 is the target I would keep purchase $$$ at no more than $100 (less MUCH less if possible). One thing I can tell you is they do (for all their other shortcomings) cook fantastically and the Platinum even better. You might even end up considering it a keeper LOL

Larry,
My wife was just saying that we needed a Summit grill to fill the last empty spot in my backyard;)!

I do like this Platinum version of the Summit, but I suspect this one needs too much work to be a flip candidate. I am content to finish the Genesis Platinum I am working on and keep it long term.

Jon I am sure that's what she said actually she probably wanted a 6 burner to use every available inch. ;)

Old boss just dropped off the free Silver B this morning firebox looks good but will need to inspect more carefully that will be going on the C with some good parts for the future. Praying no dreaded fade on the lid but it was wet.

So now I have a Silver C, B, and 2 1100's under the deck that will be it for me for the time being. Will end up with 2 good grills when I am done gonna make a table out of one of the frames kind of like what Rich did.

Larry,
My wife was just saying that we needed a Summit grill to fill the last empty spot in my backyard;)!

I do like this Platinum version of the Summit, but I suspect this one needs too much work to be a flip candidate. I am content to finish the Genesis Platinum I am working on and keep it long term.

She is probably getting tired of you starting up the lawn mower every week just to mow an 8' x 8' chunk of lawn. Better to fill it with something and leave the lawn mower in storage.

p.s. Wife just noticed the Sunbeam I pulled out of my dark stealth storage shed...More explaining to do:eek:!

She wanted to know what that “microscopic” grill was for. Probably worried I wouldn’t be able to fit the Summit if that was in the way:rolleyes:.

Last edited:

Back