Brisket Bark

DBono

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi I'm just trying to figure out why my brisket bark was so hard to slice thru. I started out with an 11 lb brisket broke it down into point flat I think.
In my WSM 22 with Weber brigs at 5pm temp was 225-250. Flat/small piece was done at 1:30am the bigger was done at 8:30.Looks like it cooked for almost 15 hrs.
I'm thinking over done some? Probed tender at 205*
Hope the pics help.
Thanks Dan

https://imgur.com/a/5JUezaz

Last edited:
Search for " BBQ with Franklin " , its a series that was on PBS bout 2013. Find Episode 1 " Brisket " . It will probably answer your questions about brisket bark. You got crusty bark because, most likely , you did not wrap the brisket.

Here is a link to my local PBS station, but I'm not sure it will work for you ......

https://www.pbs.org/video/bbq-franklin-episode-1-brisket/

If you stream your TV, like with a Roku Streaming Stick or with an Amazon Fire Stick, all of the " BBQ with Franklin " shows are on Amazon Prime Video , for free. There's also some Franklin vids on YouTube.

Going fat side down will help with this as well. I've found if I go meat side down I get the same thing. The bark is hard to cut through. Too much of a good thing can be a problem. Butcher paper helps as well. I usually go fat side down and then fat side up after I wrap in paper.

Hi If I knew why the bark was soo hard, I wouldn't have to ask..Refresh me, what did Franklin have to say?
Thanks Dan

Well, even if you've seen the videos and read the book, its good to watch them again. There will be details or things that you did not see first time through. When I first watched the vids I was cooking from a WSM only. And even then when I watched them again, I'd see something new because I'd done the cooks a time or two and it was different.

Then I bought a stick burner and it really got different. I've got his book back out countless times and re-read chapters. I watched the brisket vids again today and saw some things that I did not even think about before. Today I noticed the size of splits he was using in that Old Country offset.

You can skip a big part of that brisket episode I linked, but he focuses on bark from using diff wraps, foil, paper, or naked. Results are at the end.

What are you using for rub?

Hi Montreal Steak Seasoning for the big piece/point.
Wicked Que 180 Brisket Rub for thew smaller/flat piece.
Dan
hsMqxm6.jpg

reason I asked what you were using for rub is that sometimes too much sugar in the rub could cause the effect you are getting. So it does not appear that is the cause here

reason I asked what you were using for rub is that sometimes too much sugar in the rub could cause the effect you are getting. So it does not appear that is the cause here

Hi I used these rubs before, without the bark getting soo hard. So it can't be the rubs, maybe next time do a flip?
Thanks Dan

Hi Montreal Steak Seasoning for the big piece/point.
Wicked Que 180 Brisket Rub for thew smaller/flat piece.

From the pix, it looks like you did a pretty tight fat trim. I you leave a little thicker fat layer where you can, the bark only makes the fat taste more like meat candy. Cooking fat down when unwrapped is also a good tip. FYI, I rarely wrap and use water in the pan, cook at around 250.

Jeff

From the pix, it looks like you did a pretty tight fat trim. I you leave a little thicker fat layer where you can, the bark only makes the fat taste more like meat candy. Cooking fat down when unwrapped is also a good tip. FYI, I rarely wrap and use water in the pan, cook at around 250.

Jeff

OK will do next time
Thanks Dan

I think Jeff is on to something, a little more fat will keep the bark a bit softer.
Doggone it, now I want to roll out a brisket but, I don’t have time! Maybe for New Year’s Day?

If you stream your TV, like with a Roku Streaming Stick or with an Amazon Fire Stick, all of the " BBQ with Franklin " shows are on Amazon Prime Video , for free. There's also some Franklin vids on YouTube.

Just last week, I watched " BBQ with Franklin " on Amazon Prime for free. I just went there, and Amazon now wants $2.99 per episode. I wonder what caused them to charge for this ?

But its ridiculous, cuz if you have Roku or Fire Stick, just get the PBS app and all the shows are there, for free. And I think they're better picture quality, definitely easier to navigate.

Back