Question for changing 2001 silver C from NG to LP

Stefan H

TVWBB Guru
I want to change a 2001 Silver C from NG to LP. Is it just enough to replace all 4 orifices and the swap the NG gas line with an LP gas line plus regulator? Or is there more to be done? Of course tank scale as well. But I am mostly concerned with the gas conversion part.

Thanks guys

The best approach is to swap the manifold from NG to LP. Natural gas needs a lot more volume of gas to produce the same heat as propane. You can’t shrink the holes in the valves. The best bet is to get an LP manifold. Ask on here there are a lot of donors if you look.

Slainte!

Tim

Find a donor grill and steal the manifold off it along with the hose and valve for the extra burner. That is by far the easiest and likely cheapest solution. Swapping out orifices is more complicated and they are usually pretty expensive.

The only problem is that most grills out there are already LP like yours. But, someone here might have a NG manifold that you can work a deal with. I would also make a post in the Buy, Sell, Trade section saying you are looking for a NG manifold for a Silver C.

Thanks guys. My problem however is: I have plenty of donor LP manifolds but none with a hookup for a side burner. This is the reason I just wanted to take 4 orifices from my LP manifolds and use 3 for the NG manifold and one for the side burner. Older cheap Genesis grills with side burner (Silver C, Gold C) are a rare find here.

Just swipe the valves and swap them. the manifold is nothing but a pipe. Honestly you CAN do it with just orifices but the valves are just slightly different internally. I moved my 2000 from LP to NG with just orifice swaps but I fully know the issue of doing it and I work around it. This spring I will pull the manifold and modify and or replace the valves properly so the grill is fully safe. In your case if you do simply the orifice swaps all that will happen is your low and med settings will be hotter than you may want or expect. Going the other way though presents a safety issue because the low setting is too low to keep the burners fully lit and you can have a flame out with gas still flowing and a pretty dangerous buildup of unburned gas

Thanks LMichaels. Great information. I wasn't sure if the valve was any different. I will just swap the whole valves then. As for the side burner a swap of the orifice should do I assume.
I know Weber back then offered conversion kits. What was actually included in these kits? I tried to search the Web but could not find anything.

Weber quit selling the conversion kits out of fear of lawsuits.

You can probably get by with a simple orifice swap on the side burner, but you are probably best off on replacing the whole valve there as well.

On the side burner a simple orifice swap is all. Thanks to the very simplistic control valve

Yes. NG to LP. I actually want to sell the grill and offer both options. Meaning either sell it as NG or as LP grill. Trying to see what sells better.

LP will sell better but word of caution. If you're gonna sell it make sure it is 100& an LP or NG. Don't just pop in some orifices. Very likely to cause someone a problem

LP will sell better but word of caution. If you're gonna sell it make sure it is 100& an LP or NG. Don't just pop in some orifices. Very likely to cause someone a problem

You are totally right. I don't want take any risks here either.

I’m a NG guy and am looking to swap out my LP manifold. I currently have one for a 1300 which is not what you are looking for. But if you ever come across a 1xxx NG one, let me know.

I’m a NG guy and am looking to swap out my LP manifold. I currently have one for a 1300 which is not what you are looking for. But if you ever come across a 1xxx NG one, let me know.

Bill, I pm'ed you not going to do a swap though I think that is what you are looking for. You should easily be able to sell your LP manifold down the road with the tank scale.

Back