Cooking on a WSM 22.5 with a full basket of Chunk Coal and BBQ Guru Digi3

Wilson Boudreaux

TVWBB Member
I'm cooking Baby Back ribs on my WSM 22.5 at 235* using my new BBQ Guru Digi3.

I started off with a "full" basket of Royal Oak Lump. Two hours later, and I just looked in the charcoal basket. It looked like nothing had burnt. (yes, I have heat maintaining 235*)

That set me to thinking. After the cook, I should go ahead and let the WSM run as set to see just how many hours I could get in this cook with that amount of Lump coal.

SO because the Guru makes this such an easy cook, I'm here on the internet posting this question.

To does who know. "How long can I expect the cook to go on" with the help of the Guru Digi3 holding a temeperture of 235*...???

How many pounds of Lump went in the ring? I know with 18.6 lbs of KBB I can typically get around 16 hours. I've gotten 24 during the summer with the old KBB and 20 lbs of charcoal.

I'm not sure how many lbs of Lump I added to the basket (WSM 22.5) when I started. There was already about half a basket before I added. I know it was full when I started the cook at noon. I'm curious to see how far it will go at 235* with that Guru Digi3 in place .....!!!!

Back