Christmas Cookies

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Hi,

Anyone making Christmas cookies this year? If so, what kind? DH made Midnight Crackles the other day. Pretty good, made with bittersweet chocolate and cocoa. Trying to figure out what to make next. So many different types. Sorry, I haven't come across any that say "cook on the grill". lol

I've made them at least twice.

This recipe makes a very crunchy cookie which I like, but I've thought of making a soft/chewy version too.

edit: I went to the table of contents to see what else might sound good & there's a lot of cookie recipes! I put an asterisk next to the few that I've tried:

Chewy Sugar Cookies
Chewy Hazelnut– Browned Butter Sugar Cookies
Chewy Chai-Spice Sugar Cookies
Chewy Coconut-Lime Sugar Cookies
Snickerdoodles
Brown Sugar Cookies
*Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies
Thin and Crispy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chewy Chocolate Cookies
Double-Chocolate Cookies
*Triple-Chocolate Cookies
*Big and Chewy Oatmeal-Raisin Cookies

Big and Chewy Oatmeal-Date Cookies
Big and Chewy Oatmeal-Ginger Cookies
Big and Chewy Oatmeal– Chocolate Chip Cookies
Big and Chewy Oatmeal-Nut Cookies
Big and Chewy Orange and Almond Oatmeal Cookies
Chocolate-Chunk Oatmeal Cookies with Pecans and Dried Cherries
Thin and Crispy Oatmeal Cookies
Thin and Crispy Coconut-Oatmeal Cookies
Thin and Crispy Orange-Almond Oatmeal Cookies
Salty Thin and Crispy Oatmeal Cookies
Peanut Butter Cookies Peanut Butter
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies with Honey-Cinnamon Filling
Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies with Milk Chocolate Filling

Pecan Sandies
Almond Sandies
*Gingersnaps
Hermits
Molasses Spice Cookies
Molasses Spice Cookies with Dark Rum Glaze
Molasses Spice Cookies with Orange Essence
Glazed Lemon Cookies
Glazed Lemon-Orange Cornmeal Cookies
Glazed Lemon and Crystallized Ginger Cookies
Glazed Butter Cookies
Lime-Glazed Coconut Snowballs
Jam Sandwiches
Chocolate-Cherry Bar Cookies with Hazelnuts

Best Shortbread
Chocolate-Dipped Pistachio Shortbread
Ginger Shortbread Toasted Oat Shortbread
Sablés (French Butter Cookies)
Chocolate Sablés
Lemon Sablés
Toasted Coconut Sablés
Almond Sablés
Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
Vanilla Pretzel Sablés
Black and White Spiral Sablés
Spritz Cookies
Spritz Cookies with Lemon Essence
Almond Spritz Cookies
Chocolate Butter Cookies
Glazed Chocolate-Mint Cookies

Mexican Chocolate Butter Cookies
Crescent-Shaped Rugelach with Raisin-Walnut Filling
Chocolate-Raspberry Rugelach
Almond Biscotti
Pistachio-Spice Biscotti
Hazelnut-Orange Biscotti
Hazelnut-Lavender Biscotti
Triple-Coconut Macaroons
Chocolate-Dipped Triple-Coconut Macaroons
Meringue Cookies
Chocolate Meringue Cookies
Orange Meringue Cookies
Espresso Meringue Cookies
Toasted Almond Meringue Cookies

Last edited:
Wow, what a list. Thanks. Snickerdoodles, Hermits and Mexican Chocolate Butter Cookies are just a few of the ones I would like to make. Oh and any cookies with Pecans. lol I have all the recipes, now just to get cookin'. Oops, forgot. Also have a bag of pistachios to shell. I'm sure they will go great in cookies.

Here is what is still on DH list of cookies to make this year.

Black Forest Cookies
Blueberry Cookies
Chocolate Drops
Chocolate-Striped Linzer Cookies
Cranberry Pistachio Spirals
Lemon Linzer Cookies
Molasses Crinkles
Praline Butter Cookies
Raspberry Chocolate Crinkles
Raspberry Strippers (no, they are LOG COOKIES LOL)

Happy to share the recipes upon request.

DH and I finally got around to shelling the Pistachios yesterday. He made these,

1 1/4 cup Pistachios
2 TB. plus 1/2 cup sugar
3 TB. butter, melted
1 1/4 cups sweetened dried cranberries
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sifted powdered sugar
1 TB. vanilla extract
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 egg
2 1/2 cups flour

Pulse pistachios in a food processor or blender until reduced to powder (some small chunks are ok) but NOT to paste. Scrape into a bowl with 2 TB. white sugar. Drizzle with 3 TB. melted butter; stir with a fork until mixture starts to clump. Pulse cranberries in food processor or blender until finely chopped. Stir into pistachio mixture.

Put 1 cup butter, the powdered sugar, vanilla, baking powder, salt and remaining 1/2 cup white sugar in a bowl. Cream together with a mixer until butter clings to sides of bowl and is uniform in color. Mix in egg until incorporated. Add flour; mix on low speed until incorporated.

Scrape dough onto a large generously floured sheet of parchment paper. Dust top of dough with more flour, then press into a rough square. Roll into a 12x15 inch rectangle with a long edge facing you. Sprinkle pistachio-cranberry mixture evenly over dough, leaving a 1/2 inch border of uncovered dough. Brush top border with water. Tightly roll dough from bottom to top, using parchment to help lift dough, ending with the wet edge and pressing lightly to seal. Slide dough and parchment onto a baking sheet; cover with plastic wrap. Freeze 1 hour, or chill 4 to 8 hours.

Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Slice chilled roll into 1/2 inch thick cookies; set on prepared sheet. Bake until edges start to turn golden brown, 13 to 15 minutes. Cool on sheet 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Makes 18 cookies

Source: All Recipes mag. Dec/Jan 2018

DH and I finally got around to shelling the Pistachios yesterday. He made these,

1 1/4 cup Pistachios
2 TB. plus 1/2 cup sugar
3 TB. butter, melted
1 1/4 cups sweetened dried cranberries
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sifted powdered sugar
1 TB. vanilla extract
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 egg
2 1/2 cups flour

Pulse pistachios in a food processor or blender until reduced to powder (some small chunks are ok) but NOT to paste. Scrape into a bowl with 2 TB. white sugar. Drizzle with 3 TB. melted butter; stir with a fork until mixture starts to clump. Pulse cranberries in food processor or blender until finely chopped. Stir into pistachio mixture.

Put 1 cup butter, the powdered sugar, vanilla, baking powder, salt and remaining 1/2 cup white sugar in a bowl. Cream together with a mixer until butter clings to sides of bowl and is uniform in color. Mix in egg until incorporated. Add flour; mix on low speed until incorporated.

Scrape dough onto a large generously floured sheet of parchment paper. Dust top of dough with more flour, then press into a rough square. Roll into a 12x15 inch rectangle with a long edge facing you. Sprinkle pistachio-cranberry mixture evenly over dough, leaving a 1/2 inch border of uncovered dough. Brush top border with water. Tightly roll dough from bottom to top, using parchment to help lift dough, ending with the wet edge and pressing lightly to seal. Slide dough and parchment onto a baking sheet; cover with plastic wrap. Freeze 1 hour, or chill 4 to 8 hours.

Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Slice chilled roll into 1/2 inch thick cookies; set on prepared sheet. Bake until edges start to turn golden brown, 13 to 15 minutes. Cool on sheet 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Makes 18 cookies

Source: All Recipes mag. Dec/Jan 2018

I have a cranberry thread here, it sounds like I can use your recipe and it can also go in that thread (but I would use fresh cranberries).

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?72535-Ideas-for-cranberries/page4

I'll make these.

They remind me of the pistachio cranberry bark I made, and I surprisingly liked those, so I'll like these.

Wow!!!!!! Forgot all about this thread. I just showed it to DH. He is going to be very busy this Christmas season. lol

Did these this morning:
D3644AB8-376F-4EB9-97BD-F9CCE1334D7D.jpeg
Did four batches of party mix yesterday, still need to do maybe three more, shipping to family since we can’t be together, one sister on west coast one in Pittsburgh, brother in Florida, uncle in California. Wife has family in Texas, Alabama and, South Carolina. There will be lots of postage this year!
Another family cookie will be made this week too, I hope to get everything out by the first of next week if not before!!

wow!!!!!!!!

Good going there Timothy. Oh, did I tell you that I am your long, lost Aunt? My address is.........LOL

Last year was my first year making cookies and treats for my neighbors. I made Italian spice drops, m&m cookies, sugar cookies, peanut butter fudge, zucchini bread, and pumpkin cookies. I'm thinking about adding a few more this year!

That's quite a nice list of goodies there Seth. I hope one of the recipes I posted will be added to it. ;)

We just lost my sister in law in Alabama, there has been a bit of a pall over everything here, I’ve done four batches of Chex mix for local distribution but, as of this writing, I’ve not made any cookies. I’ll do a batch or two tomorrow. There has been much rushing about and a whale of a lot of time spent on the phone. Cookies just don’t seem to be terribly important.

Tim, I am so sorry.
Thank you Joan. She is no longer in pain. It’s been a very long (almost two years) draining period.
I think she would be peeved that I had not made even one batch of cookies yet! I’d better get on that! Sugar cookies, and Ennis cookies!

Back