Holiday Blowout

Dave in KC

TVWBB Wizard
In hopes of thinning the heard just a little, I decided to try and run a sale
for the holidays. Counting grills, kettles and smokers I currently have 40
different products and even my most forgiving wife is losing her patience.
I think the 3 red kettles that I put in her craft room after filling my son's
basement was the final straw for her. :eek:

mvSCyBHm.jpg

Taking a quick look around over the weekend, I had 4 serviceable Genesis
units ready for some type of sale. I also have 5 lids all of different colors that
have all been cleaned, scraped, painted end caps, stainless hardware, and
ready to go. My Wife made up a couple bows, and I snapped a few pics.
I'm offering a cheapie for the $100 bargain price, up to $200 for the nicer one
with new grates and flavorizers.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1895884820509157

I have never seen anyone else try this on fb. Maybe it works, maybe it flops.
I have about a half dozen kettles I did the same with and will post tomorrow night.
Hoping it works, as I am already negotiating to buy a couple more sidewinders
this weekend. LOL

What is the story on what looks like a red Smokey Joe? Are you selling it, too?

p.s. We better NEVER let our wives swap notes about our grills. That could spell real trouble!

In hopes of thinning the heard just a little, I decided to try and run a sale
for the holidays. Counting grills, kettles and smokers I currently have 40
different products and even my most forgiving wife is losing her patience.
I think the 3 red kettles that I put in her craft room after filling my son's
basement was the final straw for her. :eek:

mvSCyBHm.jpg

Taking a quick look around over the weekend, I had 4 serviceable Genesis
units ready for some type of sale. I also have 5 lids all of different colors that
have all been cleaned, scraped, painted end caps, stainless hardware, and
ready to go. My Wife made up a couple bows, and I snapped a few pics.
I'm offering a cheapie for the $100 bargain price, up to $200 for the nicer one
with new grates and flavorizers.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1895884820509157

I have never seen anyone else try this on fb. Maybe it works, maybe it flops.
I have about a half dozen kettles I did the same with and will post tomorrow night.
Hoping it works, as I am already negotiating to buy a couple more sidewinders
this weekend. LOL

Those are some very nice grills, and I think you will get some good response. I especially like the charcoal gray one with the durawood slats. If I were buying I would be torn between it and the maroon one. Maybe a combination of the maroon hood and the durawood slats!:D

I am looking forward to seeing your kettles.

I would list them on craigslist as well, but my guess is that you will have them all sold by Christmas. Those are some great looking grills for under $200.

No blue head in the group? :)

These grills look fantastic Dave. I love the lid colors. $200 with all the new stuff is a steal. I also like the decoration. Great idea. Maybe your wife can convince someone’s wife to buy one as a Christmas present. 😀

If I knew a year ago what I know now I would gladly buy one of those. They are beautiful compared to My First Weber gas FrankenGrill that I bought.

Bruce, no blue. Safely tucked away in my storage closet, and it will
stay there until I can find myself a 3000 keeper.

Jon, I posted a pic with a few kettles in the charcoal kettle forum ...

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?76180-A-few-kettle-restorations

I also posted the same pic on the WKC facebook page. That little offset SJ created
a fury. It is likely sold already. Crazy to think it will sell for as much or more than
a restored Genesis.

I gotta try something like this with mixers. Maybe I have been doing it wrong listing one at a time LOL. I have a bunch of inventory from tilt heads going all the way back to a 1957 Hobart 3C, to the full size tilt "Classic" designs and large frame lift bowl ones in both the narrow type 5qt to the wide frame 6qt Professional models. You gave me some inspiration

Holiday blowout is a flop thus far. 151 looks and only one reply from someone that
likely hit the "is it still available" button by mistake.

Dang. I wouldn't panic yet. I would leave them up and not reduce the prices. I would also try CL. But, you might wind up having to hold them until this spring when people are actively looking for new grills.

Bruce, I meant to post on CL the other day, but finally did early this morning. I won't be cutting the prices at all. I am fully prepared
to sit on them until spring. If they don't sell by Memorial Day, I may have to rent a truck and haul them up to where you live.
I may have to have a giant sale in your front yard. :D

LOL. I don't think you will have a problem. With your very reasonable prices and the increase in the 2019 models going up, I think your garage will be empty by Memorial day.

Yeah you have the opposite issue I have. Stores are cutting prices so deeply on a new KA I have to walk a VERY VERY tight line for profitability. One gear too many and I am in the hole

Dave,
I agree with Bruce. Those are beautiful grills that will find homes in due time. I wish you could sell them down here where people do appear to be in the market and grills are selling IF they show curb appeal which all of yours have tons of.

The struggle continues:

220 plus looks, and not a peep.

I posted this Blue 310 converted to a 320 this morning on FB
and CL this afternoon.
https://kansascity.craigslist.org/hsh/d/weber-genesis-e320-propane/6773599998.html

Nothing but crickets thus far. I hope the lack of attention on this one is simply due to the season.
I can't reproduce a better product to peddle than that. If that does not sell for the posted price
I might as well throw in the towel right now.

In other news I sold the SJ and a Side Kck table that I never even posted this
week, Both made more profit than my average Genesis reestoration. These were
both sold on Weber fan pages. Probably time to add those to the list of places to
sell.

Dave,

Your stuff is gorgeous, so I can understand your frustration. I feel that if that royal blue was listed here it definitely would be getting you calls. There are people here trying to get even more out of completely average 300 series grills, certainly not done to your quality or even with the extras you are including. Don't throw in the towel; I guess winter weather does take grills out of a lot of people's minds. I know you said that OfferUp wasn't doing that much in your area, but you might go ahead and try anyway.

Keep plugging away. You do top drawer work and in the end it will be rewarded. I wish I could have that KC Royals blue one myself - even if I am a Chicago White Sox fan;)!

Last edited:
I agree with John. It is The season. There is absolutely nothing popping on craigslist in Facebook marketplace around me. You are South of me but still pretty far North. Things will start moving again in the Spring and I would be surprised if you don't sell most of your inventory by the end of April.

Dave,
Don't fret the lack of activity. It just isn't grilling season. I see several Silver B's and 1000's for sale that would have gone fairly quick. They have been listed for several weeks now and nothing more is popping up. Now that the search results are getting smaller, I am seeing quite a few of those "BRAND NEW" webers for sale that were obviously bought when stores were clearing stock and they have also been sitting there forever. People are buying TV's and Tablets right now. Not much interest in buying a grill. You will probably be scrambling by May to find more grills to rehab after your Holiday stock is gone.

Back