Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7th Annual Smithfield King of the Smoker, Indian Wells CA

From reading other forums, I think a lot of backyard barbecue cooks inject brisket. A fella who'd just bought a pellet smoker, recently asked me if I injected brisket. The closest I've come, was a long time ago when I first bought my WSM,about 2003 or so. The fella at the meat market recommended I use an ice pick to poke holes in the fat cap, and go on down into the meat. Then douse it with worcestershire sauce.

Daniel Vaughn came to Oklahoma and visited Butcher BBQ stand. He called it competition barbecue and was not impressed. He said he did not like meat injected, something about too much salt/butter/broth. I would guess, being the Texas Monthly BBQ editor, that he focused on the brisket, which is not Butcher's thing. Pulled pork and pork spare ribs are what I like there. And I think ya gotta inject pork butt, its just too large a hunk of meat.

I doubt any of these competition cooks are serving to the public in their BBQ joints, what they would present to a judge. From what I've read and heard, that's just not practical from a lot of standpoints.

Quote Originally Posted by James N View Post
    Thanks for the report Chris...Did I read it right and this was the last event to be held?
    Yes, that's right.

TVWBB Fan
    Not to be a nit picker, but the last pic in the first post is not Jeff Vanderlinde from Shiggin' and Grinnin'.
    18.5 WSM, Weber Performer/green, 2 OTGs/green, 70's era Kettle, 1 SJG, Ulime SJ.

Quote Originally Posted by T Perkins View Post
    Not to be a nit picker, but the last pic in the first post is not Jeff Vanderlinde from Shiggin' and Grinnin'.
    Thank you for pickin' that nit! It's Blane Hunter from Porky Butts. I've corrected the mistake.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12