Help! Removing burned on bbq sauce (black) off outside of lid and firebox

Dan Leighton

TVWBB Pro
I've been rehabing a 2007 Genesis for my son for Christmas. Almost done with the cleanup, but I've hit a snag with black burned on bbq sauce on the end caps of the lid and dripped down the outside of the firebox. Any suggestions? I've tried ceramic stove top cleaner, 000 steel wool with simple green, but have had little luck getting it off the grey paint. thanks.

Yah, at some point, you just wont be able to get any more of it off and even if you do, you will either still have stains or wind up taking off the paint on the end caps and fire box. If you can get the real "sauce" off the parts but still have a stain left over, you can probably get away without grinding it down to bare metal which is preferential to keep the original paint which is much more durable than any rattle can paint you can find. Also, it will retain the "texture" from that paint. Then just clean the parts down really well with xylol solvent and paint over the stains. But, you must get all the sauce off first, so if you have to, an angle grinder and wire cup brush are your best bets or maybe for small spots, you could use a wire brush in a drill.

I think that is pretty much your options, Dan. I had the same situation with a Broilmaster which also has a cast aluminum firebox. I really wanted to avoid repainting, but there was no way to get off the burnt on stains without marring the original finish. I wound up cleaning hard and angle grinder wire brushing where necessary.

Back