Country Style Ribs and Beans

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
Had a craving for both last night. Here's the pictures of the cook.

Used 3 different types of dry beans. Pinto, Great Northern and Small Red. Soaked in water and a little salt overnight.

enhance

Fried up some bacon the following day.

enhance

Removed bacon and sweated some onion and then added some chopped green bell pepper, a jalapeno and garlic.

enhance

After a few minutes added water, chicken stock and the reserved bacon. Brought to boil and reduced to simmer for around an hour. Held kettle to a steady 300 for the entire cook.

enhance

enhance

Added ketchup, brown sugar, honey, molasses, mustard, ac vinegar, some rub and hot sauce. Let beans simmer for 4 hours, 3 with lid on and
lid off for final hour.

enhance

Got to work on the CSR's. Rubbed down with SM Sweep Apple.

enhance

Kept an eye on the liquid in the beans.

enhance

Got the ribs on the WSM. Set it up like a UDS. No Pan.

enhance

Beans done.

enhance

About and hour and a quarter into the cook with Apple for smoke. Attempted to hold smoker to 275.

enhance

Braised the ribs in pineapple juice and Stub's Sweet Heat for another hour of so, foiled.

enhance

Removed from foil pan and applied more sauce and let the ribs caramelize for around five more minutes on each side.

enhance

enhance

Plated it up.

enhance

Both the CSR's and the beans were very good. I had trouble holding temperature to 275 and the ribs cooked much faster than I'd anticipated. Will probably roll with a different setup next time. The flavor profile for each was very similar and I probably would change things up a bit next time to get more of a contrast. Anyway, it was a fun cook. Thanks for looking everyone. Hope your weekend was good!

Gotta love that cook! Those CSRs sure look good. You went all out on those. Oh... and Bean Me Up, Cliff!!!

Haven't cooked any CSRs in years. Don't know why, but that needs to change.

Back