Oven-roast--not smoking it

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
Started to question certain accepted methods of cooking a roast (in the oven BUT is probably applicable to the WSM).

I can understand why you season ribs, steaks etc. They are pretty thin (comparatively speaking to a roast) so you'll get some spice flavour in every bite.

BUT why a roast? Unless you inject (or putting slivers of garlic into slits you cut prior to roasting), putting anything on the outside (S&P for example) will stay on the outside. You may get thin slivers of taste along the outside edge but I dont see you getting any unless you put it on the slice when it's on your plate.

Seems a waste doing it b4 roasting it.

Is it supposed to permeate into the roast? Somehow, I doubt that it does.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Well try this. Make 2 roasts. One not seasoned the other seasoned well and properly. You will definitely know the difference. In case you didn't figure it out I am on the definite pre season side of the coin. BTW I am not a fan of the slivers of garlic in a roast (especially an expensive standing rib or such). A good coating of a good seasoning mix (pretty heavy on slat and pepper) is definitely necessary in my experience

The salt is the only thing that will permeate but the smell of the surface seasonings will influence your perception of the taste.

The results are what matters not the science LOL but I do believe in part of this your ideas are mistaken. Many spices are fat soluble and as the meat and fats render and the spices dissolve into the fats they actually do permeate. It's the same thing why many Italians will add wine or vodka to their Sunday gravy or Marinara. There are sugars and volatile oils in tomatoes that will only release in the presence of a "solvent". If you use wine the wine will add a flavor note but more times than not I use Vodka because I may not want the "wine essence" and the difference with or without the alcohol is amazing even though the neutral spirit like vodka adds nothing in flavor. It actually "releases" the flavors

And it also helps with the crust, a well seasoned exterior just tastes better!

Tim

It also depends on when you season the roast, right before putting it in the oven or two days before. If salted well in advance the salt will be drawn into the meat where it serves as seasoning and also as a means of retaining moisture. Far enough in advance and the salt will permeate quite a ways. It doesn't take a lot of salt for it to affect flavor. Even if it doesn't taste salty, the salt is still having an impact.

It also depends on when you season the roast, right before putting it in the oven or two days before. If salted well in advance the salt will be drawn into the meat where it serves as seasoning and also as a means of retaining moisture. Far enough in advance and the salt will permeate quite a ways. It doesn't take a lot of salt for it to affect flavor. Even if it doesn't taste salty, the salt is still having an impact.

I get it, but I'm still a "season right before you toss it on" type of guy.:)
Case in point, last week did a Eye of round that was still frozen. S&P and right into a 500deg oven for 30 minutes. Dropped my lectric oven to 185 and let it sit for two hours.
One of the best roasts I ever served ( perfect med-rare with a great flavor) and that's a cheap-o cut.

Tim

The results are what matters not the science LOL but I do believe in part of this your ideas are mistaken. Many spices are fat soluble and as the meat and fats render and the spices dissolve into the fats they actually do permeate. It's the same thing why many Italians will add wine or vodka to their Sunday gravy or Marinara. There are sugars and volatile oils in tomatoes that will only release in the presence of a "solvent". If you use wine the wine will add a flavor note but more times than not I use Vodka because I may not want the "wine essence" and the difference with or without the alcohol is amazing even though the neutral spirit like vodka adds nothing in flavor. It actually "releases" the flavors

I'm mostly parroting stuff I've read. I'm more inclined to agree with a lot of what you've said

Back