chicken question....

ColePell

TVWBB Member
i smoked a small 4 lb bird last night......the skin seemed to be a bit rubbery, yet the chicken inside was very moist. I wasn't sure the thighs were cooked, my wife said they were we just aren't used to smoked chicken meat. the smoker stayed at 275, took it off after just over two hours. i'm curious if there is any way to get away from the rubbery skin. I also think another half hour or so would have been better. i had thigh temperatures of 165 and breast temps of 160.....is the rubbery skin a product of the smoking?

We use a lot of chicken in this household. If I want to do whole chickens, I prefer the spatch cock them. Further, if using a WSM, I use Chris' "Hot and Fast" method. This leaves really attractive (important, too), browned, and bite through ranging to crisp skin. It is an EXCELLENT way to cook chicken. Spatch cocking speeds up the cook time, and it is a MUCH more efficient way to seriously help the cook get a really good prouct, reliably. Whole chickens are difficult to cook properly on a reliable basis.

Full confession, here...
Ever since I got my Vortex for my Performers, THAT is the way I cook chicken. Never fail crisp skin, very moist, easy/peasy, and VERY happy chicken lovers! Not to mention, QUICK and that is NOT a bad thing...

FWIW
Dale53

Have to get to a min of 325o to get crispy (just like in your oven). The smoke is the ONLY difference between the WSM and your oven (wood smoke, charcoal, etc).

We use a lot of chicken in this household. If I want to do whole chickens, I prefer the spatch cock them. Further, if using a WSM, I use Chris' "Hot and Fast" method. This leaves really attractive (important, too), browned, and bite through ranging to crisp skin. It is an EXCELLENT way to cook chicken. Spatch cocking speeds up the cook time, and it is a MUCH more efficient way to seriously help the cook get a really good prouct, reliably. Whole chickens are difficult to cook properly on a reliable basis.

Full confession, here...
Ever since I got my Vortex for my Performers, THAT is the way I cook chicken. Never fail crisp skin, very moist, easy/peasy, and VERY happy chicken lovers! Not to mention, QUICK and that is NOT a bad thing...

FWIW
Dale53

First I've read about the Vortex.

Can or should a Vortex be used with a Weber Smokey Mountain?

https://vortexbbq.com/about/

Increasing the temp will improve the skin. I enjoy cooking chicken halves on my WSM without the water pan. The direct heat helps crisp the skin. I start them skin side down. I also poke holes in the skin with a fork so some fat can drip out easier which helps with the skin.

It CAN be used on a WSM but, you can also empty a bathtub with a teaspoon.
It’s not what it was designed for but
, lots of things are used for “off label” use.
Go ahead, you’ll spend a month writing about it until you do.

Thanks for the advise. I'll pass then.

Two things here work for crispy skin,first and easiest raise temp to 325 or higher let the cooker go it will not go much more than 325 for awhile.
Second split the chicken flat for even cooking.
And last rub the skin down with corn starch, that was the old way now i have used Louisiana chicken fry ,crisp skin and flavor too.

For chicken, Theres no need to bother with anything but leg quarters. Imo.

I normally prefer white meat

But slow cooked leg quarters just fall off bone, and are so much better.

But to dissolve the tendons in legs need 175-180. Temperature, not time.

Start checking at 2 hrs.

Skins a diffent story. I can accept rubbery skin for the fall apart meat personally.

Harry Soo said something about organic chicken having thinner skin
Also dry it in refrig first., And higher temps. Judges want to bite thru skin, but dont expect it. So he gives it to them.

Last edited:
Two things here work for crispy skin,first and easiest raise temp to 325 or higher let the cooker go it will not go much more than 325 for awhile.
And last rub the skin down with corn starch, that was the old way now i have used Louisiana chicken fry ,crisp skin and flavor too.

Are you cooking the chicken using LCF on the WSM

Do you follow direction for the loui chicken fry or do it some other way?

All of the above.
I cooked some leg quarters today.
340 or so, skin down for first hour
Flip for another 45 min or so

I wouldnt call skin crispy....but it was eatable and tasty
Chicken was fall apart and juicy.

Back