Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rehabbing a grill for personal use

My toss in would be "It depends..." On the Skyline, I went ALL out and have already done some redoing even though it still hasn't seen a single cook yet. I am kind of like Rich on this grill. I will use it, but sparingly. Not because I don't think it will last but because I want to have it to "show off" and enjoy looking at myself. I can't always do a complete clean after run of the mill daily cooks.

That is where the Genesis Platinum I am working on comes in. I decided that being that it was only for personal use this was the perfect rehab to go with the Sam's grill degreaser (competes with Dawn) and not bother with wire brushing the firebox. The inside of the hood has one of those heat shields. Short of replacing or removing it will never look very good again. But it is intact and wards off both the stainless turning blue and more importantly carbon build-up on the inside of the hood. (This is one thing I DON'T like about the Silver C I am currently using as a daily driver.) I am cleaning up the other parts and do want the grill to look decent. Just not expecting "flip" or "show" quality. All I want is a nice solid grill which I think the Genesis Platinum makes a great platform for.

I have removed the painted steel parts from the bottom cabinet. I have so far installed one stainless steel crossbar for the bottom back. The front one is taking a lot of time because I am trying to drill holes in it for mounting the front doors (the only stainless part that Weber made for the bottom of this grill). I decided I want to try and preserve as much of the original look as I can, so at least with front doors - even if functionless right now - it will look more original than an open cart. I am wanting to put durawood slat trays on the bottom with unpainted stainless z bars. One problem is that I don't have enough durawood slats right now. Anyway, I guess I am saying that for this personal heavy-use grill I didn't see any point in the cosmetic touches I would have done if I were trying to sell, but I DO care about the durability.
    Genesis Platinum Skyline 3200 Q1200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22s 1Touch Platinum, Black '74 18, JJ & SJ. Projects: Genesis 4, 2 many!

Yeah Bruce except on a KitchenAid. On one that ends up being a keeper I usually decide to make it a "keeper" AFTER I have rebuild it for resale and by than it's too late LOL. Sometimes I am looking at my cost of acquisition, and my potential profit margin and then I throw it out the window. The current Professional 600 sitting on my counter is one. My cost of acquisition was only $70 and it was absolutely mint (except for being a little dirty, didn't run properly PO saying it let smoke out) but it had EVERYTHING including the original box and owner's manual and the bowl chute. Well it was REALLY noisy and the motor was arcing like mad. The PO was not careful with flour and it had gotten lots of it into the motor sucked in my the fan. Did a complete disassembly on the motor, resurfaced the armature and brushes to get rid of the burned on flour, full cleaning, refilled gearbox with extreme pressure moly based grease, got it all done for sale and had wife test driving it making her famous french bread and thought damn......................that thing is too nice to sell (even though my profit margin would be fantastic). But than who knows it still could be. If I stumble into one of the large truly commercial 8 qt machines or one of the Hobart "N" types this one will go away and I will still have the profit margin plus having enjoyed it for the past however many years.
    BTW if any of you all have never made mashed potatoes in one than you have NOT tasted REALLY good mash potatoes. Using the flat beater and working your taters with it starting nice and slow, incorporating plenty of butter and of course real cream and than bringing up the speed to really "whip" them you get the creamiest mash you ever ate. Guarantee you will throw away your masher

Larry,
    I had previously wanted to follow up about blenders. Mine says “Professional 600”. As I mentioned, we got it pretty reasonably, because we were ok with the eggplant color. It is almost black and sitting in the corner blends in with our mostly black appliances.

I understood that this is KitchenAid’s “good” model. Others have told me, though, that the more recent ones like ours (maybe 6 or 8 years old) are not made with the quality parts older ones had. We have never had trouble with it, but we are not heavy users. Is what I was told true? If you work on one like ours do you use different parts to restore? Mine doesn’t need an overhaul right now, but it is interesting to learn more.
    Genesis Platinum Skyline 3200 Q1200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22s 1Touch Platinum, Black '74 18, JJ & SJ. Projects: Genesis 4, 2 many!

I tend to restore the outside a lot more than the inside. But then I go in a different direction with it as well. For example, I have a spare set of flavos, burners and grates. So I aim my crazy in that direction.
    Weber Genesis 2000, Natural Gas

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Tofte View Post
    Larry,
    I had previously wanted to follow up about blenders. Mine says “Professional 600”. As I mentioned, we got it pretty reasonably, because we were ok with the eggplant color. It is almost black and sitting in the corner blends in with our mostly black appliances.

I understood that this is KitchenAid’s “good” model. Others have told me, though, that the more recent ones like ours (maybe 6 or 8 years old) are not made with the quality parts older ones had. We have never had trouble with it, but we are not heavy users. Is what I was told true? If you work on one like ours do you use different parts to restore? Mine doesn’t need an overhaul right now, but it is interesting to learn more.
    Jon
    The Professional 600 is exactly what is on my own counter (though not in the eggplant color it's that nice dark gloss gray). They are VERY powerful machines (almost scary powerful) as there is no "safety" mechanism so if you get your hand caught......................well I hope you like pieces of bone and flesh in your cake
    That being said there are some very real durability issues with the model. If yours is over 5 or 6 yo IIRC it has a gearbox made of heavy plastic. Allows the unit to run a little more quietly but notorious for cracking under load and than causing major gear failures. KA upgraded the housing to cast (aluminum I think) and that is much better now though they run more noisy with the metal box. That and the crappy lubricant that either A breaks down into liquid and leaks out or B. Turns literally solid does not lubricate at all and all the gears fail.
    The other weak point is the planetary. Made a little too flimsy given the extreme torque the thing can make and also sometimes just falls off into your bowl with no warning.
    For grease I either use this https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...M50RS2/tvwb-20 or this https://www.farmandfleet.com/product...th-3-moly.html
    ON this model I don't worry too much that the second is not labeled "food safe" as the way the Pro 600 is made even if it were to leak from the gear box there is no pathway to food as there is with the other style (non modular) machines where the motor housing and gearbox are all one piece (like the Classic tilt head). So on my last 10 or so builds I have been trying out the Tri Flow product but the jury is out if that lube has the moxy to stand up to the very extreme loads this machine puts on it's gear train
    I have made it a silent production change. So if I should see a premature failure I will repair the machines affected for free even past the warranty period. But, to date I have not had a failure from any of the machines either with the Moly or the TriFlow.
    In any case with the factory grease (especially with the plastic gear housing) it is not a matter of "if" it will fail but "when"

TVWBB Diamond Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    I paid way too much for a blue top Silver B but, at the time, I knew NOTHING about the pitfalls which the under educated would never notice. Many thanks to Rich Dahl for enduring the many emails to help me get it in reasonable working order, my stepson and family are really enjoying it. I felt I didn’t have room for it so, when their POS grill died, grandpa delivered!

Then, I decided I needed something to do while my wife was recovering from “complete reverse shoulder replacement” and I was able to fall into an extremely dirty maroon Genny 1xxx burners were in good shape but, bars rotted out totally, other than that, it needed a serious cleaning and a new igniter. Once again, the forum got me in touch with Bruce and Larry, who pretty much held my hand through days of wire brush work and repainting. I know now that I will tear the whole thing back down in the spring and do some restoration of the frame and more “detailing”. If I find another for $20 I will snap it up and do a better job and see which I like better. If the frame and box are prime, I might swap the lid from “Bluey Louis” if I get really lucky, I’d like a 3000!
    For me, the gasser is for quickies, but, I see the use of it!
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

I restored a Gold B a couple of years ago as a keeper. It came out good, but admittedly, I could have done a better job. I really wish I would have done a little better job on the frame. I'll probably tear it down again one day and get it where I want it. I cook most of my meals over charcoal, so my gasser does not see much action. It would probably be better to have it all shiny and sparkly since it's a patio queen.
    Performer Deluxe(Copper) Genesis Gold B(Redhead) 18WSM 14WSM 26 OTG 22 OTG JJ Q1200 Gas & Charcoal Go Anywhere, Vortex, Kettle Pizza, Smoke

Quote Originally Posted by Pat G View Post
    I restored a Gold B a couple of years ago as a keeper. It came out good, but admittedly, I could have done a better job. I really wish I would have done a little better job on the frame. I'll probably tear it down again one day and get it where I want it. I cook most of my meals over charcoal, so my gasser does not see much action. It would probably be better to have it all shiny and sparkly since it's a patio queen.
    I've done about 3 grills, two for myself and one for a cousin. The second (and third) time around it's much easier, faster and you can really take your time and correct what you want in exactly the way you want to.
    Weber Genesis 2000, Natural Gas

Yep, I can remember several misstates on my 1st couple rehabs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12