Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Current opinion on Genesis E/S 300 series gassers?

I believe they continued the open cart option, which I applaud. Also, they went back to the larger two wheels. At least that side will drain readily.

The bottom line is that these frames (and cabinets on close-in models) are painted steel. Without careful rust prevention and treatment, if kept in a humid climate outside they are going to inevitably rust. I really wish Weber would bring back the 2005-6 "Platinum" option with stainless frames. If they extended the all-stainless to the cabinets, closed in carts would have a much better reputation.
    Genesis Platinum Skyline 3200 Q1200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22s 1Touch Platinum, Black '74 18, JJ & SJ. Projects: Genesis 4, 2 many!

TVWBB Fan
    Even if they do bring back all ss frame version it would likely be $$$ in the stratosphere.
    Another avenue is all aluminium frame. I think i saw at Ace or Menards square aluminium frame. I believe someone here that had a custom one made. It might be possible to just buy the square AL and make the frame with screws and nuts. Not sure how much but maybe not much more than $150. I am only talking about the Genesis 1000 and Silver B. It looks like it one may be able to do itself. If not maybe $50 for welding AL.
    My counting may be off but for a well taken care of Genesis 1000 it would be worth it in my book. Hoping that the original cast iron grates are still good.
    With new burners, rcplanebuyer flavor bars, new manifold with regulator that would push it to around $500 to $600 but that will run with any grills over $1500 or more.
    Last edited by Chris in GA; 01-21-2019 at 06:58 PM.

An aluminum or SS frame and brackets with the regular genesis 1000 or Silver B lid, cook box and panel would last 50 years. If you put in some RCP grates and Flavorizer bars, the only thing you would likely have to replace would be the burners and a new igniter every ten or fifteen years.
    Some people rescue dogs and cats. I rescue Webers.

TVWBB Fan
    100% on that Bruce

I have to agree that stainless steel is not the only solution to rust. I would think the cabinet metal would be an especially good place to use aluminum instead of painted steel.

I think one problem is that Weber has started going to a "unibody" construction. The old Webers had a solid frame that the rest of the grill was then hung on. First, they dropped the lower horizontal support frame pieces in favor of a metal wire rack or, much worse, a painted steel flat bottom with angles bent on the edges to substitute for frame pieces and give strength. Then, with the 300 series, the sides of the grill itself rely partially on the sheet metal for structure. These sheets are welded onto the side frame pieces as singular units. When the sheet metal rusts, the whole thing becomes at risk. I suspect that Weber is counting on the strength of steel (before it is rusted) and that aluminum might not be sufficient. Or, it could be the pricing. In any event, for rebuilds, just like a car, traditional body on frame construction is a lot easier to restore.
    Genesis Platinum Skyline 3200 Q1200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22s 1Touch Platinum, Black '74 18, JJ & SJ. Projects: Genesis 4, 2 many!

TVWBB Fan
    Good observation and great explanation, I like it. Good job 👍🏻

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12