Thread: Current opinion on Genesis E/S 300 series gassers?

Current opinion on Genesis E/S 300 series gassers?

I know there's a preference for older Genesis 1000-5000 and Silver/Golds here, but I've recently been seeing used Genesis E/S 300 series grills at pretty competitive prices on the usual websites.

Other than the switch from E-W to N-S burner alignment circa 2010 which seems to have a large impact on rotisserie grilling, are they any other gotchas to be aware of? It seems like the sear station was a nifty feature on some of these grills.

Going back through the postings here from a few years back, it seems most people were pretty happy with the Genesis grill build and performance of that generation. Are there any issues with the rusting bottoms of the closed cabinet versions like the previous Silver/Gold Genesis? I'm assuming not since it appears the construction was mostly stainless.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.
    Last edited by David Nord; 12-07-2018 at 02:39 PM.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Are you talking about these?
    https://www.grillparts.com/weber/2011_genesis_300.asp
    Or these:
    https://www.grillparts.com/weber/2007_genesis_300.asp

Both do have issues with cabinets rusting. On the old Silver/Gold Genesis you could just remove the rusted out bottom and side panels and convert them into an open cart model because there was still a frame. But on these the side panels are part of the frame and replacement is very expensive. About $200 - $250 per side panel and $80 for a floor.
    Genesis Gold C, Performer, 22" Kettle, 18" WSM and always several old gassers under restoration.

Rusted out cabinets are the biggest issue I see. If you can find an E/W E3xx grill with a good cabinet for a good price, then I say go for it. But, I still prefer the open cart design myself.
    Some people rescue dogs and cats. I rescue Webers.

David,
    It is sadly true that these grills have a bad reputation when it comes to rust in the cabinetry and frame legs. This is because theses parts are all just painted steel doomed to rust out in any kind of moist environment. The frame legs are further hindered by the fact that all four legs use casters. These have a propensity to collect water leading to total failure of the leg bottoms.

Having said all that, I do believe these grills have some very positive merit. I especially like the older E-W burner configuration “sidewinder”. These still have the classic Weber setup in a slightly larger and more modern style grill. I still love the old classic Genesis with wood slats better, but I wouldn’t argue with someone who prefers the modern style. I think it looks good in black but there are some out there in very sharp dark red and bright blue.

The newer ones with the front controls are not as good to me, except that I personally DO like the 330 with its extra “sear” burner. Some don’t agree and feel it is a gimmick. I used a 330 as my daily driver for several years and liked how the sear burner worked very much. Some others must agree because Weber seemed to have felt compelled to bring it back after briefly discontinuing it on the first Genesis II grills.

If you are fortunate enough to find a sidewinder or later 330 with little or no rust, I could see why you would want one. Just take really good care and do some rust prevention measures. Then enjoy! There is room for variety in grills!
    Last edited by Jon Tofte; 12-07-2018 at 07:11 PM.
    Genesis Platinum Skyline 3200 Q1200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22s 1Touch Platinum, Black '74 18, JJ & SJ. Projects: Genesis 4, 2 many!

TVWBB Member
    Dave:
    I've had my E-310 since 2007, but I live in a dry climate (las vegas). Fantastic grill and I have upgraded it by adding the side burner making it E-320. I like the enclosed cabinet to hide all the grilling "stuff". I agree with Jon on the moisture issues. Keeping ahead of the rust is a big deal to contend with. Several members on the forum have posts of things to deal with rust. I liked my grill so much I was able to pick up a "garage queen" 2007 LP Genesis E-320 in a dark forest green instead of the black for my son who will get it at Christmas. $100 cost plus a little elbow grease to remove the grease was worth it. I'm partial to the cast iron grates, but in the humid areas, stainless might be preferable. Cast anything never did too well in Rhode Island. I don't move my grill much except if it is going to rain, I pull it a couple of feet under our patio overhand. Can't go too far since I'm hooked to NG. Good hunting and grilling!

TVWBB Super Fan
    If you can find one with no rust in the cabinet go for it. I restored one this summer where I had to replace the floor. The side panels were borderline but I could kind of fix them.
    But I also have a friend who owns one. No rust on his. So I assume it is a game of luck.

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    I have an E320 sidewinder NG and it works fantastic. Rust is not an issue here in dry Arizona. It's our go to summer oven and for lots of other cooks. My wife even bakes bread in it.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."