Here we go again

Jason in CA

TVWBB All-Star
I had a minute today so I decided to get a better look at the next project. The condition of the grates is laughable, and they will need to be replaced. The igniter will need to be replaced. Hooked up a the propane to check the burners, yep, they will need to be replaced.

I also came across something I didn't expect. The front burner knob just spins all the way around instead of stopping at low and off. I'm not sure what to do about this. Maybe when I take it apart a fix will become available. Maybe the valve is shot and will need to be replaced.

Here is a picture to give you an idea of what I am talking about.

You can see the front burner knob in an unnatural position. It will go in circles. Has anyone had this happen to them? Is there a fix?

I'm certain the last time this grill was cleaned was never. This one is definitely not going to be easy like the last one.

Jason, let me know, I may have an extra valve. Is that a silver B or a 1000? I hope I didn't bury my parts bins too deep in the shed.

It's a 1000. The other Skyline that I picked up. At this point I'm thinking I should be on the lookout for a donation grill because this one needs so much. After getting the chance to get into it, the best news is the Skyline hood seems to be in good shape. The rest of it can be delt with using any other Genius parts.

The grill I did for my sister was my first ever rehab. I'm glad it was in much better shape than this one. It allowed me to cut my teeth on things to speak. If it was in the shape of the one I'm now getting into she probably wouldn't have gotten it on time for her birthday.

My guess is the valve may have "frozen up" and the PO did the "I'll just use a pair of pliers on it" fix and broke off the stop inside the valve. I would say a new valve or manifold is in order there

Looks to me like you got a pretty good deal go in there. It looks pretty much complete and the cast iron grates look like they might be in good shape to

The $40 redhead came home with me. It's still in my car because I am waiting for help (if I don't get impatient and remove it myself) to unload it. However, while taking it apart to get it loaded (by myself again, the lady at the house was pregnant, so I didn't want her to help) I was able to see that the flavorizer bars are shot, the igniter is shot, all the wood is shot. I'm hoping when I have time I can get it hooked up to the gas and see if the burners are in good shape. And hopefully all the valves are working because of the one that will need to be replaced on the other Grill.

A little story, the rotisserie that I ordered from eBay for my sister's Skyline came and I went to hook it up on Thanksgiving Day. However it was missing something and that was supposed to be the grill we used to cook the bird. The bracket that goes on the side of the grill which the motor can slide onto did not come with the rotisserie. So since my in-laws were not too far from my house, I ran back home and got my rotisserie hooked it up to her Grill and that's how we were able to spend the bird.

Now for the redhead I picked up today for $40. It has the bracket stuck on the side of the grill (no roto, just bracket) that the other rotisserie did not come with. Since I really have no recourse for a bought as is item from eBay I thought okay, well maybe a aside from the valve that is no good on the skyline, I can also make a working rotisserie. So at least for now, until I get deeper into things I think I did okay for $40 because it will make a functioning Roto, and a functioning Grill after I robbed it of the pieces that I am hoping will work for the other two issues.

One more thing. I'm feeling the pain when it comes to the Firebox Bolt. After a half hour/45 minutes of trying to budge that thing I finally went and got a cutting wheel for the Dremel. The bolt is now removed. On that note I'm getting a whole new respect for all the rehabbers that have been doing this long before me. I'm on rehab number two. The first one was really no problem at all. All parts function great, all screws and bolts came out without issue, and nothing needed to be replaced.

I think it's time for a cold on now. ;)

Jason, I grab the angle grinder with a cutting wheel if I cant get that or other bolts out after 5 minutes of trying less aggressive methods. I have learned it is just faster and easier and there is nothing to be gained by trying to save the bolt and nut. But, like you, my first few rehabs would have had me struggling for a lot longer with vice grips and penetrating oil and whatever else. Now, I just grind the suckers off with little hesitation.

Bye the way, you still got a great deal on the redhead. You easily already canibalized $40 worth of parts from it and there is still a lot left there to rob from it.

Back