A BLUE Broilmaster??? Whatever it takes to sell it!

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I have been slowly working on moving grills, with a little more impetus now since I need funds for my latest acquisition. More on that later...

I mentioned previously that I was working on my last Broilmaster to sell to my pastor. It was originally charcoal gray which went along with the full set of three tray tables that it came with.

257krjl.jpg
x

I at first hoped to keep it original, but some of the burnt on stains were too egregious, so I concluded a repaint would be needed. I offered him the choice of the obvious high heat colors available. I would have picked Chicago White Sox black, but my pastor is a University of Michigan/Chicago Cubs fan, so he went with brake caliper blue. My wife actually kind of liked it:rolleyes::

2s6v88p.jpg

qxp07o.jpg

This is the P3 larger version of Broilmaster. It came with a set of three cast iron grates. They can be adjusted to any of three different heights. I also picked up a set of stainless grates that I cleaned up as seen in the picture. I included a set of ceramic tiles for heat diffusion along with a bucket of lightly used ceramic briquettes.

This is a really nice grill, even if I don’t love the color:eek:. It is capable of very high heat, although it can also grill low and slow.

znvmlj.jpg

I think it will work well for him.

Last edited:
Sorry Jon, I love that color. The grill is awesome even if it isn't a Weber.

When they do my blood work that is the color that comes into the vials from me. That looks WAY nice

I love the color. There are too many black and stainless grills out there. Always refreshing to see another color.

Looks really nice. I don't mind the color as long as I don't think about it in a "Cubs" context. Cardinals fan here.

Thanks guys! I didn’t really expect such a positive reaction. Don’t get me wrong, I really like Genesis grills with a blue porcelain hood. I just wasn’t so sure how the blue would work with cast aluminum. It is, for sure, an interesting change of pace. My buyer was very happy, so that is what matters most.:eek:

Jon, glad you got some good response. But, either way, it is your grill and it comes down to what you like. I am really one of those guys that like to keep things they way they were intended to be, but when that isn't possible (stains), then what the heck. Same with wood slats on the Genesis 1000 grills I have been seeing. When they need to be replaced and you can't buy OEM Weber wood slats any longer, then why not try to improve on them and make some out of Oak or other great looking woods.

But, when I saw that beautiful blue hood on the Broilermaster, it really hit me as I had never seen one other than the drab charcoal black ones before. I am kind of surprised you didn't paint that Broilermaster logo on the top red and white to incorporate some more of the CUBS colors. ;)

Jon, glad you got some good response...when I saw that beautiful blue hood on the Broilmaster, it really hit me as I had never seen one other than the drab charcoal black ones before. I am kind of surprised you didn't paint that Broilmaster logo on the top red and white to incorporate some more of the CUBS colors. ;)

Now THAT would have been COOL:cool:! I have a couple people circling around my last one for sale:(. I did seriously think about sanding down the Broilmaster logo back to aluminum, sort of like what we do on Weber badges. I decided to stay original and do the custom handle with the logo instead. I also have a nice original stainless handle to throw in as part of the deal.

2zob51z.jpg

Call me the flipper this week!

Now THAT would have been COOL:cool:! I have a couple people circling around my last one for sale:(. I did seriously think about sanding down the Broilmaster logo back to aluminum, sort of like what we do on Weber badges. I decided to stay original and do the custom handle with the logo instead. I also have a nice original stainless handle to throw in as part of the deal.

2zob51z.jpg

Got my asking price of $450 for my third Broilmaster. That’s two in one week:cool:! I hated to part with it, but I needed the funds and room for another acquisition. At least my wife finally sees money coming in and grills going out after way too long of the opposite. :rolleyes:

So, my Broilmaster fling/experiment is over for now:(, but it was a good learning experience and actually profitable. I would be open to an opportunity to restore another one. They are extremely solid, Made in USA very nice grills. They lack Weber’s style but do pack a powerful punch while also doing good low and slow bbq.

I figured you might keep one broilmaster for yourself Jon? Just curious with all the grills you rehab what are your personal grills? The ones you don't plan to ever sell? I remember the skyline. Are there others?

I figured you might keep one broilmaster for yourself Jon? Just curious with all the grills you rehab what are your personal grills? The ones you don't plan to ever sell? I remember the skyline. Are there others?

My wife would be best at answering that question!:rolleyes: I have my Skyline that I would never sell unless someone with a whole lot of money and very little sense offered me so much that I thought I could replicate it and still come out way ahead. I have a Genesis Platinum that is not finished but hopeyvery soon. Plan to use it in place if the Silver C I currently have as my “daily” driver. Plan to keep this somewhat uncommon grill which is perfect for my salt air environment. I also have a restored 26” flat top kettle and a 22” Platinum One Touch (with the oval tables on each side). I am using it already but want to fix it up. Like the Platinum Genesis it is not very common and I think it is one of the coolest kettles Weber has made. Tables are great for using wireless thermometer and still leaving room for food and tools. I guess most other people didn’t agree because it didn’t sell well. It’s a keeper. Also have a beautiful red 22” old style kettle with the metal bowl handles and the quaint twist on ash pan. I love it and will always have a red kettle but if the right offer came along I might part with it in favor of a lesser red kettle. I have a large Grren Egg that was given to me so is never for sale. And finally I just bought an almost brand new RecTec “Bull” for way less than half price. Won’t replace a gas grill but it is GREAT! In addition my yard and shed are full of flip projects and maybe a keeper or two! You asked! Now we know why my wife thinks I am insane!

Interesting. Thanks. I was particularly interested in which grill was your "daily driver". It's interesting to me that you prefer your silver C for that.

The genesis platinum has a stainless frame doesn't it? If so I can see why that would be ideal for a Floridian.

Yes, the 304 stainless frame on the Platinum was only available for two years. If they had only also made the cabinet bottom, back and sides out of stainless it would have been the perfect Genesis. That is the part I am still working on.

I previously was using a Genesis 330 with the sear burner as my daily grill. I liked it very much, but when it finally needed a major redo, I decided to try out the Silver C I had picked up with the idea of flipping. It was like coming home! I decided To keep it and when time allows flip the 330. I like it even more now that I added GrillGrates. Now the Platinum with the same setup but better materials will take its place. I plan to transfer the GrillGrates to it.

I will use my Skyline occasionally, but it is a little bit of a deck queen :eek:, something my wife absolutely cannot fathom:rolleyes:! I don’t want to wear it out quickly, so the Platinum will get a lot more use.

I will use my Skyline occasionally, but it is a little bit of a deck queen. I don’t want to wear it out quickly

LOL: Jon, your wife is a keeper. She probably figures you are going through a mid-life crisis.

She is! How many would put up with all the junk I have accumulated? I am trying really hard to make up for it and get things more under control:D.

Back