Issue: Fan doenst spin

Patrick Eggel

Hi community,

after some issues i was able to finish my heatermeter. At the beginning it thought everything works as intended, the HM display went on, i was able to configure everything but after some testing i have the following problem.
The fan doesnt spin when i connect it to ground + blow. (it spins when i use the 5V or 12v at the power input, so the fan is functional).

The HM was in manual mode at 100% all the time and i changed the fan from voltage to pulse mode.

I did some furhter testing, the last point where i m able to get 12V is the left leg of the mosfet. If i connect the fan to the middle leg, the fan wont move. (see next post for better informations)
I would be pretty happy if someone could help me, i dont know much about smc soldering or electronics, this was my first project.
I could do further tests with a mulitmeter if you give me advices how to do it. (i know how to use a multimeter, but i dont have a clue where to use it )

Sometimes i have a second problem. After i start the heatermeter it jump through the menu, it looks like someone would click on all buttons at the same time. Some ideas?

Thank you and greetings from germany.
HvLXTSh.jpg

YiUV05V.jpg

Last edited:
Hey,
i have a multimeter now and i had time to do some measurments. I think the problem is located between the mosfet and the BS170 (Q1)

I marked all values in the picture.

I measured the values when the HM was set to 100%. I tried it also with 0%, i had still 12.15 Volt at the BS170 top output and about 0 V at the bottom input coming from the controller... so the controller seems to work but i get to much V on the BS170->Mosfet

N3MmCRs.jpg

Last edited:
I had that problem when I finished assembly. It worked on the bench, but after assembling into case, I started having strange display issues and not fan. What happened was when assembling I was not careful and Q1 got stretched and a lead broke and a couple shorted. Check Q1. How I fixed this was to replace Q1 and offset it slightly up toward the center of the pc board and dropped it closed to the pc board. When assembling I took extra care not to contact Q1 with case. There is not a lot of clearance at that point when mounting in case

Great, thank you very much, the GND of the BS170 was the problem.... after that i improved about 20 soldering points... it is a long time ago that i had to solder something and some points were terrible.

One short question: Does the heatemeter control the air output only with fan on(12.15V)/off(0V) and the servo for everything else?

Last edited:
The HM can control the fan from 0% through 100% as well as the servo from fully closed to fully open. You can modify how the 2 work with each other as well.

Have a look here.

Back