Thread: Smoking pulled pork after it's cooked?

TVWBB Member

Smoking pulled pork after it's cooked?

My wife is having a little gathering Saturday afternoon, and I was just informed she'd like pulled pork, the problem is that I'm not here on Friday to smoke it, and not enough time on Saturday before guests arrive.

It looks like due to timing and late notice I'm relegated to pressure cooking a pork butt. Has anyone has any success smoking pulled pork for a little bit after it has been cooked and pulled by other means, or should I just use a little liquid smoke and be glad it's her friends and not mine?

Quote Originally Posted by J_E_F_F View Post
    My wife is having a little gathering Saturday afternoon, and I was just informed she'd like pulled pork, the problem is that I'm not here on Friday to smoke it, and not enough time on Saturday before guests arrive.

It looks like due to timing and late notice I'm relegated to pressure cooking a pork butt. Has anyone has any success smoking pulled pork for a little bit after it has been cooked and pulled by other means, or should I just use a little liquid smoke and be glad it's her friends and not mine?

Go for it! I'd probably choose an apple or hickory by Stubbs (it's at most grocers including walmart). I haven't used too much in a long time so I don't think there's much chance of using too much and ruining it (that's not a challenge). I bet a tablespoon or two would be just fine.

What's your general cook plan?

Not sure if this will give you any ideas....I've never done straight-up pulled pork in a crockpot or IP.
    https://www.americastestkitchen.com/...gn=atkfacebook
    18.5 WSM > 22.5 One-Touch Platinum > Genesis Silver B > Smokey Joe Gold > Q100 + Q100 = Q200 > Go Anywhere Gas

Jeff

Here is a recipe from one of my players some years ago. Hope it helps

Pulled Pork

1 Boston Butt Pork Roast
    3 TB course Sea Salt
    3 TB ground ginger
    1/4 cup liquid smoke
    1/4 cup soy sauce

Put roast in the slow cooker. Mix the sauce and cover roast. Cook on low for 10 to 14 hours. Pull and enjoy.

Get up early enough you can have real smoked HH butt in 5-6hrs, or put it on the smoker for 2 hrs then into the PC.

Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

TVWBB Member
    Hmm, maybe I'll try the smoker/pressure combo, I never thought of that!

TVWBB Pro
    I hate to suggest it, but you could always cheat. Put some liquid smoke in the pressure cooker with the cooking liquid. Or change it up a bit and go for carnitas instead of pulled pork. Then you just need to shove it under the broiler for a couple minutes after shredding.

Quote Originally Posted by JayHeyl View Post
    I hate to suggest it, but you could always cheat. Put some liquid smoke in the pressure cooker with the cooking liquid. Or change it up a bit and go for carnitas instead of pulled pork. Then you just need to shove it under the broiler for a couple minutes after shredding.
    What's the other option: cold smoke? I guess that'd work but it'd be easiest to just smoke as usual, pull, then fridge/reheat as normal.
    18.5 WSM > 22.5 One-Touch Platinum > Genesis Silver B > Smokey Joe Gold > Q100 + Q100 = Q200 > Go Anywhere Gas

TVWBB Member
    A friend of mine got my directions for brisket mixed up and smoked the brisket after slow cooking it in the oven. Came out great. Nobody could tell the difference.

Just an option you might consider.

TVWBB Olympian
    Liquid smoke. But be really carefully how much you use ! Kalua pork is made in the oven with liq smoke. How most made it in hawaii.