New to smoking, I use Weber Smokey Mountain 14.5 and 22.5

Tony James

Hello from Georgia,
Just started this year, my beautiful wife of 39 yrs bought my 22.5 Weber for me. I’ve smoked about 12 times so far and I have to say for the money, you can’t beat the simplicity of the Weber and how it sets up..

Liked it so much I bought the 14.5 for Rving.

Love to swap how to”s on meat prep and rubs, right now I mix my own..

Later

Tony

Welcome to the board. You can read here for days and still learn something new
every one of them. Best source on the net for WSM tips.

What have you made so far?

Have you ever made the same thing in both WSMs at the same time? How did they turn out?

Hey Arun,
Mostly beef brisket, have done several racks of ribs, wings, roaster hens..will put up some pics when I figure out how. Will be smoking sockeye salmon this weekend,

Hey Arun,
Hope all is well. I smoked it for 7 hrs on my 22, got to say everybody was blown away at how moist and tasty the turkey turned out. This one turned out so well my wife bought another turkey to do at a later date.

Christmas with my grandkids was great, life is great!! I hope your Christmas was great as well!

Wow, great to hear. I love how your wife wants to do another turkey again soon.

Is there anything you did that you think was important to how well it turned out?

(I.E. "I want to do it this way again")

Hey Arun,
Been under the weather lately.. the most important thing I see is the temp of the meat and smoker, love when the smoker tunes in at 225-250 and stays for hrs around those temps.

Did smoke a 7 lb brisket over the 1st. Not tootin my horn but, there were hot wings hamburgers, hotdogs, and everybody kept going back to the brisket.

Arun, what have you been smokin lately?

Hope all is well.

Hey Arun,
Been under the weather lately.. the most important thing I see is the temp of the meat and smoker, love when the smoker tunes in at 225-250 and stays for hrs around those temps.

Did smoke a 7 lb brisket over the 1st. Not tootin my horn but, there were hot wings hamburgers, hotdogs, and everybody kept going back to the brisket.

Hope all is well.

:) Sounds like a great bbq then.

Haven't done much lately, last was smoked trout in September.

I usually create a thread in this same subforum after a cook, so I'll post then how it went.

Hope you get over the cold soon.

Is that your brisket in your avatar?

Hello from Georgia,
Just started this year, my beautiful wife of 39 yrs bought my 22.5 Weber for me. I’ve smoked about 12 times so far and I have to say for the money, you can’t beat the simplicity of the Weber and how it sets up..

Liked it so much I bought the 14.5 for Rving.

Love to swap how to”s on meat prep and rubs, right now I mix my own..

Later

Tony

Re-reading this thread. I'll post my poultry rub soon, within a few days.

Hey Arun,

Hope all is well.

Do you use a water pan when you do poultry?

Hey Arun,
Yes I use a full water pan on most smokes unless I want to run higher temps, I smoked some wings over the weekend on my 14” Weber. Do you use briquettes or lump charcoal, have looked at the Rec Tec grills, a friend of mine bought one and so far he really likes it.

The rub I use is a Weber original base with a hint of cinnamon, onion powder, lemon pepper, paprika , I don’t really want one spice to overpower the rest.

Hey Arun,
Yes I use a full water pan on most smokes unless I want to run higher temps, I smoked some wings over the weekend on my 14” Weber. Do you use briquettes or lump charcoal, have looked at the Rec Tec grills, a friend of mine bought one and so far he really likes it.

The rub I use is a Weber original base with a hint of cinnamon, onion powder, lemon pepper, paprika , I don’t really want one spice to overpower the rest.

I use a combination of both biquettes and lump charcoal. Mostly briquettes, with some lump charcoal.

Here's the seasoning blend I use. I've been using it since 2012.

It includes Adam's Seasoned Salt and Adam's Seasoned Pepper.

He used to have a website. The website is gone, and he's on YouTube here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/FoodslingerTV

And goes by "acgold7" on Chowhound.com

You can scale these down as appropriate.

Adam's Seasoned Salt:

Small Home Batch:

1 cup table salt
1/3 cup granulated white sugar
1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. Paprika
2 tsp granulated onion or onion powder (not onion salt)
2 tsp granulated garlic or garlic powder (not garlic salt)
2 tsp Cornstarch

I think I use less sugar than this recommends, but other than that, I keep it intact.

Adam's Seasoned Pepper:

Very Small Home Batch:

5 tbsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp ground white pepper
1 Tbsp ground cayenne pepper
1 tbsp Paprika
1 Tbsp Adam's Seasoned Salt (from above)

I use a lot less black pepper. Probably 2 tbsp.

And for paprika, I use a little less, to make sure it doesn't overpower the other spices.

So I use Adam's Seasoned Pepper and Seasoned Salt, and combine them as recommended. I then add rosemary and thyme.

That combination is the poultry rub I usually use.

Sometimes, I'll do a rub of red curry, olive oil, and some lemon juice. This becomes more of a paste, but this is the 2nd combination I do sometimes.

Below is what I do for brisket / pork spare ribs / pork butt.
I typically use apple wood chunks.

Brisket I keep very simple and use a heavy dose of course kosher salt and black pepper applied and rubbed both sides (this is basically what Aaron Franklin of Franklin BBQ does for his renowned brisket out of Austin TX) google him for more tips / recipes
Typically I do the whole brisket (12-15 pounds) smoke @225-240 for about 9-10 hours or until internal temp is 190 -195. Fat side up
Remove from smoker wrap well in foil and place in empty cooler to let meat rest for at least 1 hour, up to 2 hours before slicing

Pulled Pork usually I cook 2-4 8 pound roasts. Cook time is 11-12 hours at 225-240. Internal temp 190-195. Fat side up, and I cross hatch the fat cap with a sharp knife before any further prep
Inject each roast with concentrated apple juice (thawed frozen concentrate)
Apply standard yellow mustard rubbed all over the roast, then apply heavy dose of favorite rib rub. I like many brands, but use Weber classic BBQ rub most often as that is what my wife likes
Cook until internal temp is reached, remove from smoker let rest at least 1 hour and then pull / chop as desired, then I sprinkle additional rub on pulled meat.

Spare Ribs: rub slab with yellow mustard, then favorite rib / bbq rub I usually use the Weber again, but I have another homemade rub I like a lot, but I will have to get that for you
Smoke at 225 for typically 4-ish hours, then if you like them sauced I raise temp of cooker and direct grill over the coals to caramelize the sauce. The bones should be extending out of the meat by a good 1/2 inch. Total cook time this way is right at 5 hours.
This gives the ribs a good bite, (not tough, but not fall off the bone)
If you prefer fall off the bone consider 3 hour smoke then 1-1.5 hours additional cook time but wrapped in foil with a bit of apple juice added. This basically gives you the smoke flavor but then finishes by steaming. Will be hard to remove or sauce of too overdone / fall off the bone

Hope this helps. As an FYI I have done the pork butt and ribs many times without the mustard and that is good as well. You do not "taste" the mustard in the end product, but I think it adds a little something that doing it with out

Back