Bottom Round Roast - Meater + Therm first run

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
I have been waiting to receive the Meater Block from the Kickstarter campaign. Supposed to be here soon...

I was gifted a Meater+ and I was wanting to give it a go. So I bought a several pound bottom round roast and planned a cook. Fired up the 14" WSM and went to town.

For the roast I marinated it in Henderson's Relish. Coated with SPOG. Ran the pit around 285°. Took the roast to 130° IT and let rest for 30 minutes prior to slicing it.

The Meater+ worked great. No connectivity issues. The only thing that I noticed is that the ambient reading (pit temp) was 70° low (note that after this cook I have since used it and the ambient temp has been closer.). The internal temp was spot on tested against two other therms that I know are calibrated. So I feel confident that it is good.

So here's the meat. I cooked it in a CI Pan so that I could cook onions too.

46129309472_d87bf8650a_c.jpg

44362978060_6e36220a3a_c.jpg

44362979280_0aac59252e_c.jpg

45267572775_5024400a41_c.jpg

45267570865_5f6d64dec8_c.jpg

45267571445_44167f8201_c.jpg

That plate shot is spectacular Case! Roast looks delicious and the mashed potatoes and gravy just gave me hunger pangs!

WOW!!! Case, that looks fantastic. I'd take a full plate of that any time and your left over is spot on.

Good looking plate and sammy. Makes me hungry.

fwiw - I have a Meater and the ambient temperature reading is influenced by it's proximity to the meat. Somewhere on Meater's website in the frequently asked question section there is an explanation regarding this. Myself... I consider this a major drawback to relying on the Meater for ambient temps in the cooker. It only becomes accurate towards the end of the cook when the meat is approaching it's target temp. I monitor the pit with another probe. For me that would be a Thermoworks Smoke or Signals. The internal temp of the meat using the Meater is quite accurate as near as I can tell. I've checked it against Smoke and Signals.

Good looking plate and sammy. Makes me hungry.

fwiw - I have a Meater and the ambient temperature reading is influenced by it's proximity to the meat. Somewhere on Meater's website in the frequently asked question section there is an explanation regarding this. Myself... I consider this a major drawback to relying on the Meater for ambient temps in the cooker. It only becomes accurate towards the end of the cook when the meat is approaching it's target temp. I monitor the pit with another probe. For me that would be a Thermoworks Smoke or Signals. The internal temp of the meat using the Meater is quite accurate as near as I can tell. I've checked it against Smoke and Signals.

Thank you!

Yeah I have seen the comments on the ambient being off, but not 70°. Since this cook I have used it 3 more times and the ambient has been pretty darn close. I too use another therm for pit temp monitoring so the Meater ambient temp is more of a back up. For me the internal temp is more important. I can't wait to rotisserie now!

Thank you!

Yeah I have seen the comments on the ambient being off, but not 70°. Since this cook I have used it 3 more times and the ambient has been pretty darn close. I too use another therm for pit temp monitoring so the Meater ambient temp is more of a back up. For me the internal temp is more important. I can't wait to rotisserie now!

Looks like the skillet would be shielding the probe from the heat in the cooker somewhat. Between that and the 42* roast, I'm thinking that would account for the 70* difference.
X2 on the internal temp being more important. I bought the meater mainly for rotisserie cooking. It works well for that. It will go crazy if the temps approach 500* and holler "uncle".

Looks like the skillet would be shielding the probe from the heat in the cooker somewhat. Between that and the 42* roast, I'm thinking that would account for the 70* difference.
X2 on the internal temp being more important. I bought the meater mainly for rotisserie cooking. It works well for that. It will go crazy if the temps approach 500* and holler "uncle".

I placed my trusty ambient therm right next to it during the cook and the temp was only 5 degrees off of what the pit was. Even as the meat temp rose the Meater didn't change much. The last couple cooks have been better.

Back