Sweet Spicy balls and ABT's

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
I didn't cook for thanksgiving this year. However the day after I was in charge of appetizers for the Oregon, Oregon State Civil war football game.

My friends always request ABT's so I made a batch of those. To mix it up a bit I made a batch of bacon wrapped sweet spicy meatballs. Super simple.

I used Italian spicy sausage. Mix up 1 cup brown sugar with 4 tablespoon chili powder. I substituted one tablespoon of chili powder with chipotle powder instead. I also added 2 teaspoons of garlic powder. Roll meatball in spice mix. Wrap with 1/2 piece of thin cut bacon. Skewer multiple balls on a stick, or if space is an issue toothpick each one individually. Sprinkler more of the spice mixture on top. Cook until meat is 165° and bacon is crispy. I added more of the spice sugar mixture about 30 minutes before the end.

For the ABT's did my typical cream cheese, four cheese blend shredded cheese, chipotle, onion, garlic.

Cooked both in the 14" WSM. Meatballs on the bottom rack, abt's on the top. Didn't really pay attention to the temp. I know the pit was 265° when I put them on. It was around 325° when I pulled them off.

They must have been good because there were no left overs and there were only two of us!

31118253367_2a26ebdfe7_c.jpg

45332722014_3ab07bcded_c.jpg

45332719584_c4066cdb8b_c.jpg

45332642384_cec2cdc469_c.jpg

32185783228_9b5c387331_c.jpg

Those look really good Case. Really like the meatballs. I make a spicy meatball dish with a sauce of grape jelly, garlic and sriracha. Also thanks for the reply, soup is coming up latter this week.

Those look really good Case. Really like the meatballs. I make a spicy meatball dish with a sauce of grape jelly, garlic and sriracha. Also thanks for the reply, soup is coming up latter this week.

Rich, I make that grape jelly sauce too. I was going to do it for these but opted to try this recipe instead.

I be looking for your Sopa de Pollo!

- - - Updated - - -

Case, those look fantastic. Awesome job for sure and great pics.

Thank you Barb!

Had to have been good. Really like the meatballs.

Sure were! These are really simple. Which is why I choose them. Saw today the our local grocery chain has fresh pre-made (not frozen) meatballs in two sizes, dozen to a pack. That would make them even easier to make! Not that making meatballs is hard.

I have been doing ABT's for years but had not thought of the meatballs. I appreciate your effort in showing all of us a different taste treat.

I have been doing ABT's for years but had not thought of the meatballs. I appreciate your effort in showing all of us a different taste treat.

Generally the meatballs would be called MOINK balls (Bacon wrapped Beef meatballs). I usually do them smoked then with a maple syrup sauce with a little heat added to the syrup.
Looking good Case.

Generally the meatballs would be called MOINK balls (Bacon wrapped Beef meatballs). I usually do them smoked then with a maple syrup sauce with a little heat added to the syrup.
Looking good Case.

Thank you!

I've always referred to Moink balls if made with pork and stuffed with cheese. Since I didn't put a hunk of cheese in the middle I just called these meatballs. I like to use the grape jelly sriracha glaze most of the time. This cook I was out of jelly so went simple with the brown sugar/chili pepper rub.

Back