Duh, don't make this mistake

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
I was missing working on my rehab grills during the cold offseason, so I decided to see if I could get the grill light on the Q320 that I recently acquired to work. I took it off the grill and brought it inside. After I figured out how to get the batteries out, I changed them out and it still didn't work. I knew it wasn't completely toast because I had did a quick test when I picked it up and it flashed on for a second or two. Well, I took the batteries out and put them in the reverse direction. Still nothing. So, I unscrewed the screws to see if I could see a short or broken wire or any other problems inside. Everything looked fine and the contacts were all clean. So, I put it back together and put the batteries back in. As I was doing so, it flicked on for a second and then went out again. I tried the switch a bunch of times and nothing. Then I tried it one more time and lo and behold, I had light. But, then, it went out again just before I was going to turn it off. Messing around with it a bit longer, I got it to come back on and then, suddenly, off again. I finally realized that the darn things have a tilt switch in them that evidently turns them off when the lid is open. DUH!!!! I felt pretty dumb after realizing that, but I am quite happy that the light works. I am thinking I might just swap it over to my personal Q220 and sell the Q320 after rehabbing it without the light. Seems like a pretty high quality light and I don't think it would add all that much to the value of the rehab/flip on the Q320.

Larry: Don't tell me to keep the Q320, I just don't need that much grilling space for my secondary grill and I need/want the portability of the Q220. Besides, my Q220 is the grill I got from you in trade...haha.

Bottom line though, is to know that the Q grill lights are position sensitive when trying to figure out why they won't come on.

Yeah, those are pretty nice, but like you say they have to be pointed the right way! I definitely got some use on my 3200 before I sold it. If I ever get the bargain basement deal I am looking for on a 2200, I would definitely like to eventually add one to it.

15rh00n.jpg

The big Q is a truly great grilling machine. Everyone is different, but after I gave away my 200 and got a 3200 ($100), I found myself missing the mid-size Q. If you get the cart Weber makes for the 2000/2200 that looks just like the 3200 cart and set a 2200 on it (still readily removable), I think you get the best of both worlds. A nice-looking, great grilling deck machine and something ready to travel on short notice.

https://www.grillparts.com/weber/we...WoU80FE_XQAj-qBCVVW9DRhKvERIz6ZQaAh7lEALw_wcB

Jon,
On my Q220, I have one of those fold up carts. I prefer this for portability reasons. Not only can I take the grill along, but the cart as well. But, I do wish there was some way to easily mount a 20lb tank to it. Does that new Q2200 cart have a spot on the back to mount a tank securely?

I just realized this light will only fit the Q300/Q320 grills. I guess it will be staying with the q320. This is the older style light that mounts to the handle posts.

https://libertyhottub.com/product/weber-q320-light/

Seems the newer style Q grill lights are around $25. Can someone lend a review on those? Do they simply mount to the handle of the grill?

Your story kinda had me chuckling. I thought that little tidbit was common knowledge. Don't all the grill lights work like this? And no I won't tell you to keep it, but it would be nice to find it's way down here LOL. Maybe be a mate on the deck for that Genesis and the Wolf for those fast couple of burgers LOL

John, do you know if the older 200's with the stationary cars had the same setup?

Larry, I have not had the opportunity to personally work with a genuine Weber grill light before. I do have a good one for my Genesis Blue Head, but it doesn't turn off when the lid is down. I wish it did however. But, for the price and amount of light it puts out, I am happy with it.

This is basically the same as the one I am using on my Genesis 1000 now. I am sure it would work fine on a Q grill as well.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07BKTJLPB/tvwb-20

Last edited:
I spent about 5 minutes looking for the on off switch on one of those Weber lights while at the store. Finally I opened the lid to see if it was under something, and it came on. Naturally I opened and closed the lid a few more times watching it go on and off. :)

Jason, the older style one that I have actually has an on off switch in addition to the tilt switch. It seems logical as you don't need it when grilling in the day time. I am kind of surprised that the newer ones don't have one as well.

LOL: the real issue was that it had the on/off switch which I assumed was the only control on the light. If I had failed to find a switch at all, I would have (maybe) assumed it was position activated or something like that. I learn something new about Weber grills every day I mess with them it seems.

Jason, the older style one that I have actually has an on off switch in addition to the tilt switch. It seems logical as you don't need it when grilling in the day time. I am kind of surprised that the newer ones don't have one as well.

It's not that it didn't have one. The one I was fooling with had a button. I pushed it and nothing happened, pushed it again and nothing. When I opened the lid I suddenly had light.

Yep, same issue with me. You really run into a confusing situation when you are trying to figure it out and the switch is off and you open the grill and it doesn't come on so then you just think it is not working at all. That is what was kind of happening with me since I had the light off the grill and was simply holding it in my hands at whatever orientation was convienient. I was getting it to work intermittently and then all of a sudden it would turn off on me without me realizing it was how I was holding it. Then if the switch was off it wasn't working no matter what I did so, until I realized it was position sensitive, it was really confusing my old feeble brain cells. I was thinking a short circuit and even started tapping it on the table....:)

Yeah, those are pretty nice, but like you say they have to be pointed the right way! I definitely got some use on my 3200 before I sold it. If I ever get the bargain basement deal I am looking for on a 2200, I would definitely like to eventually add one to it.

15rh00n.jpg

The big Q is a truly great grilling machine. Everyone is different, but after I gave away my 200 and got a 3200 ($100), I found myself missing the mid-size Q. If you get the cart Weber makes for the 2000/2200 that looks just like the 3200 cart and set a 2200 on it (still readily removable), I think you get the best of both worlds. A nice-looking, great grilling deck machine and something ready to travel on short notice.

https://www.grillparts.com/weber/we...WoU80FE_XQAj-qBCVVW9DRhKvERIz6ZQaAh7lEALw_wcB

Those are amazing grill marks.

Back