Weber 9815 Thermometer replacements which scale beyond 550?

Stefan H

TVWBB Guru
Are there any replacement thermometers for the #9815 models which scale beyond the 550F? All the ones I have seem top out at 550F. The thermometer of course moves quite a bit beyond that when running the grill on full power.

I dont think there is a direct replacement. You can probably get one of the newer style that mount in the middle of the hood, but that would entail drilling a hole in your porcelain hood.

My grill will max out well above the 550 mark as well, but I haven't really found a need to get the grill any hotter than 550 for grilling purposes. I do have the Thermoworks smoke with the grate probe that will measure the true grate level temps and that redlines at 700 so, if I did want to go higher for some reason, I guess I could.

Are there any replacement thermometers for the #9815 models which scale beyond the 550F? All the ones I have seem top out at 550F. The thermometer of course moves quite a bit beyond that when running the grill on full power.

Stefan,

Here is the BMW of grill thermometers, TelTru. They make this one which is specifically designed for the classic Genesis that goes to 750 degrees. Kind of pricey (I have never splurged for one) but probably the best:

zufl9s.jpg

https://www.teltru.com/p-245-weber-genesis-gold-bc-grill-replacement-themometer.aspx

Thanks Jon. Yes that would be great. Unfortunately the pic on their site is useless. It might go to 750 but I wonder if the scale is setup this way. And yes it is pricey.

I dont think there is a direct replacement. You can probably get one of the newer style that mount in the middle of the hood, but that would entail drilling a hole in your porcelain hood.

My grill will max out well above the 550 mark as well, but I haven't really found a need to get the grill any hotter than 550 for grilling purposes. I do have the Thermoworks smoke with the grate probe that will measure the true grate level temps and that redlines at 700 so, if I did want to go higher for some reason, I guess I could.

Thanks Bruce. Yes the center ones go higher. But no I will NOT drill into that hood. That would be a sacrilege.
I know it is not that important and I also have some other thermometers on hand I can use.
It is just weird: the side mounted thermometers which have their probes closer to the grates are running only to 550 but the center ones with the stubby probes half a mile up run to 750...😂

Well, I can tell you that they are a first class company so if they say 750F you can count on it. Whether it is worth the price is another story. You could at least be confident that the hood temperature is what that thermometer says it is.

Thanks Jon. Maybe I give it a try. Thanks for the link. It seems to be the only one there maybe is.

So I bit the bullet and got me one these TelTru thermometers. Went up to about 630 after 30 min.was still rising slowly when I switched the grill off.

Nice, how's the unit itself? Is it well built? I know it's made from 304 SS (external parts) but does it seem like it's built to last (at least longer than the Weber one)?

It looks solid. I guess one can only tell after some time. However it does not sit tight between the clamps of the lid similar to the other 3rd party thermometers. But it comes with this metal clamp on the probe.
The only thing I am missing as a metric guy is Celsius on the scale. It only has Fahrenheit on the scale.

It looks solid. I guess one can only tell after some time. However it does not sit tight between the clamps of the lid similar to the other 3rd party thermometers. But it comes with this metal clamp on the probe.
The only thing I am missing as a metric guy is Celsius on the scale. It only has Fahrenheit on the scale.

Stefan I had bought a bootleg one for the 1000 it was loose also although the one I bought for the Silver fit perfectly. On the one that was loose I just put some of the RTV on the back of it so it not spin or move same thing many use for the Weber Emblem so you can easily get it off down the road.

https://www.permatex.com/products/g...s/permatex-high-temp-red-rtv-silicone-gasket/

I am glad to hear a real use report on TelTru. They are a well respected company, so it is nice to get feedback that they deliver what they say. I wonder if the Silver holder was what they aimed for and if it is just slightly different from the x000?

Back