The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: can't maintain low temps?

probably try a high temp gasket....

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Dennis View Post
    Yup, no more than 12-15 hot coals.

ALSO, start closing the bottom vents down when you get 15-20o below your target temps. Easy to raise temps if too low but very difficult to (quickly) lower them.
    Just asking in general. As I learned a few months ago that I was also using too many coals in the chimney.

If I have 15 coals in the chimney, is it still possible to get high temperatures (450 - 500+), for a high heat cook? Like for pizza.

TVWBB Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Arun L. View Post
    If I have 15 coals in the chimney, is it still possible to get high temperatures (450 - 500+), for a high heat cook? Like for pizza.
    Different methods for different cooks. If you're going hot and fast, you want more lit charcoal to being with. You basically want it all lit before you close things up. If I'm going for very high heat I'll light a full chimney, put those in the WSM, and then add more charcoal on top of the lit coals. When the top charcoal has just about ashed over, then I button it up.

BTW, good luck at getting 450-500F on the WSM. Mine doesn't have enough air flow to do that without propping up the top and probably cracking the door.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12