Leftover Turkey Tamale Pie

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
Well, we're in the process of cleaning up our Turkey leftovers. I spotted this recipe a week or so before Thanksgiving and decided to give it a try. Turkey Tamale Pie. Here's the pictures.

Loosened up some chopped yellow onion.'

enhance

Threw in some chopped red bell pepper and a couple of poblanos, some pepper, cumin and dried oregano.

enhance

After a couple of minutes added a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Yikes!

enhance

Brought the pepper mixture into the house and mixed in the cubed leftover turkey.

enhance

Then some sharp cheddar cheese.

enhance

Finally topped things off with some enchilada sauce and chicken broth.

enhance

Transferred to a casserole dish.

enhance

Ladled on a cornmeal topping, medium grind. Looks like a late 60's photograph.

enhance

Finally, more sharp Cheddar.

enhance

Back on the indirect grill for about 45 minutes.

enhance

Sliced up a baguette I made a couple of days ago.

enhance

All done.

enhance

Plated it up. or bowled it up.

enhance

Wow, this was delicious. Heat level was up there but manageable, at least for us. Still have lots of left overs. I'll keep busy. Have a great weekend everyone. Thanks for looking.

WOW!!!! Cliff that is awesome and will try it but with a little less heat. As always a great job.

Yum! A lot of work but well worth the effort. Looks super. I'm sure it was tasty.

Dunno if I'm up to using a nice pyrex pan on the grill yet. Have seen you do that numerous times so it must be OK.

Dunno if I'm up to using a nice pyrex pan on the grill yet. Have seen you do that numerous times so it must be OK.

Probably not the best idea in the world but I've been doing it for years and never had a problem. Wouldn't do it on anything with a grill size less than 22" and of course only with indirect cooking. Not recommending it at all but it works for me and helps with the pictures. I've been on the lookout for a shallow 9 x 12 inch cast iron baking pan, preferably Lodge, but haven't found one to my liking yet.

Yumm! That looks great! Sure could use a plate of that to warm up the belly. Was 12° this morning and right now its not even 25° yet!

Back