Thread: Leftover Turkey Tamale Pie

Leftover Turkey Tamale Pie

Well, we're in the process of cleaning up our Turkey leftovers. I spotted this recipe a week or so before Thanksgiving and decided to give it a try. Turkey Tamale Pie. Here's the pictures.

Loosened up some chopped yellow onion.'

Threw in some chopped red bell pepper and a couple of poblanos, some pepper, cumin and dried oregano.

After a couple of minutes added a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Yikes!

Brought the pepper mixture into the house and mixed in the cubed leftover turkey.

Then some sharp cheddar cheese.

Finally topped things off with some enchilada sauce and chicken broth.

Transferred to a casserole dish.

Ladled on a cornmeal topping, medium grind. Looks like a late 60's photograph.

Finally, more sharp Cheddar.

Back on the indirect grill for about 45 minutes.

Weber OTG 26.3/4" Kettle, Weber Silver 22 1/2 " Kettle (2), Blue Performer, Jumbo Joe, Smokey Joe (49er Edition), WSM 22 1/2 ", WSM 18 1/2, WSM 14 1/2"

Sliced up a baguette I made a couple of days ago.

All done.

Plated it up. or bowled it up.

Wow, this was delicious. Heat level was up there but manageable, at least for us. Still have lots of left overs. I'll keep busy. Have a great weekend everyone. Thanks for looking.
    Weber OTG 26.3/4" Kettle, Weber Silver 22 1/2 " Kettle (2), Blue Performer, Jumbo Joe, Smokey Joe (49er Edition), WSM 22 1/2 ", WSM 18 1/2, WSM 14 1/2"

TVWBB Super Fan
    Wow that looks fantastic!

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    Wow! Don't think I could handle that much heat, but I like the basic recipe. Nice cook.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

WOW!!!! Cliff that is awesome and will try it but with a little less heat. As always a great job.
    2009 Performer Platinum , 1999 Genesis 1000 LX, Mini Smoker, 2009 E320ng, 18.5 , 1993 Smokey Joe, 2011 Performer Deluxe

Yum! A lot of work but well worth the effort. Looks super. I'm sure it was tasty.

Dunno if I'm up to using a nice pyrex pan on the grill yet. Have seen you do that numerous times so it must be OK.
    18.5 & 14.5 WSMs, 26.5 XL, (2) 22.5 Performers, JJ, SJ, Roti Rings, Stackers, Genesis 330, OKJ Highland & Al Pastor Cooker

Quote Originally Posted by Robert-R View Post
    Dunno if I'm up to using a nice pyrex pan on the grill yet. Have seen you do that numerous times so it must be OK.
    Probably not the best idea in the world but I've been doing it for years and never had a problem. Wouldn't do it on anything with a grill size less than 22" and of course only with indirect cooking. Not recommending it at all but it works for me and helps with the pictures. I've been on the lookout for a shallow 9 x 12 inch cast iron baking pan, preferably Lodge, but haven't found one to my liking yet.

Oh my!!!!!
    85 78

Yumm! That looks great! Sure could use a plate of that to warm up the belly. Was 12 this morning and right now its not even 25 yet!
    18.5" WSM, 14.5" WSM, (4) Mini-wsms, Mini-Za Oven, Minitisserie, GOSM Big Block, 1967 Casa Q