Need advice for high temp in 22 WSM

Darren L

TVWBB Member
My target temp is 325. I'm using either style of Hunsaker Vortex for the coals. I can't reach the target temp when using the HM, but I can when I remove it and just use the draft dampers. I've tried adjusting the max fan speed from 15 to 100% Lower temp cooks work great. The HM allows me to hit about 280 and runs the fan 100%. Using one draft open plus the HM causes smoke to blow out of the draft damper. Opening all draft dampers with the HM removed jumps the temp up to 325+. Any suggestions? Do I need a larger blower and more exhaust? Thanks.

When I do 500F-600F high heat sears, I just crack the inlet damper just a bit to allow a little extra free-flowing air to get into the system. The small crack isn't enough to maintain the temperature, so when HeaterMeter goes to 0%, it still drops the temp, but it is enough of a boost to allow it to reach the higher temps. Maybe you can open up one of your vents a little to give it that same boost while leaving the HeaterMeter in place?

i do not typically use a fan controller, but when i do birds (chicken and turkey) i get the temp to 325-350 easily. I do a minion method and instead of using 10-15 briquettes, i use half a chimney of fully lit coals, and dump them in the crater and its 325-350 the whole cook. can do a 3/4 to a whole chimney

Thanks. I'm adding two additional Weber dampers to the lid. I think the single damper may be too much of a restriction. I'll post the results. Woosan: I had both bowl dampers wide open. I got higher temps when I removed the HM. This lead me to believe I was flowing too much cold air into the WSM, so I maxed the fan out at 15%. Still ran cooler.

Thanks. I'm adding two additional Weber dampers to the lid. I think the single damper may be too much of a restriction. I'll post the results. Woosan: I had both bowl dampers wide open. I got higher temps when I removed the HM. This lead me to believe I was flowing too much cold air into the WSM, so I maxed the fan out at 15%. Still ran cooler.

try it without the vortex and see what happens...........I have no vortex in my 22.5 and can reach temps over 350 no problem with a HM.

I agree, the ash pan on that vortex looks like it deflects the air outside of the heat shield that contains the fire. That might be fine with a natural air flow setup, but with a blower that could cause the cold air to blow right by the fire and up into the dome around the food.
You might give an air burner design a try, it blows air jets directly on the coals which stokes the fire and limits the amount of cold air that is pumped into the pit.

Dave,

I'm having the exact same issue Darren is but I suspect cold air is the culprit. Was grilling yesterday while it was snowing and was either far overshooting or undershooting my target temp of 300 deg.

Would you mind describing or sending a couple pics of your fan/damper setup? I'm using a microdamper on a stock 22.5 WSM. Have not sealed anything up yet, but do have the gasket kit and will install that before the next cook and run an empty water pan.

20150602-135623.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/Sd01qmQ/20150602-135907.jpg

first photo is the burner, 3/4" pipe, 2nd photo link shows copper pipe off bottom of burner where damper/fan fits. Fitting on vent is my old fan connection used before I got damper.

Last edited:
Thanks Dave!

I removed my manifold last night during a cook and swapped in the blower vice the microdamper and it kept 300 deg all night without issue.
You are the man!

@Darren
Try removing the manifold before resorting to adding lid vents. The 22 is leaky as-is so you shouldn't have an issue. I put the gasket kit between the lid and main body of the cooker and am still seeing 300 without issue.

Back