Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Letting your steak/roast come to room temperature

TVWBB Wizard
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Dennis View Post
    You must be referring to "the cap". I find it's the tougher part of that cut BUT also has a ton of flavour (and when cut "properly" on your plate, is a great piece of meat).
    IFthat part is tougher, then something is going wrong somewhere. The muscle is the Spinalis Dorsi and it's the second most tender muscle on the carcass.
    Ranch Kettle x 2, MiniRanch Gen2 Performer , SS Performer , OTG , OTS, Red MBH, JJ, SJS, Summit 650, Genesis Silver C , Genesis Gold C

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Y View Post
    A good sear is a function of moisture. Cook your steaks within 5 minutes of salting or after 40 minutes (even overnight in the fridge.). Between 5 minutes and 40 minutes the salt causes the surface of the steak to be moist, thereby reducing the ability to sear.
    Reference - https://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/...ct-steaks.html
    Russell

Totally agree with that link, Russell. When I get a thick expensive steak, I always dry brine it overnight on a rack in the fridge. Seems to work great. The reverse sear also seems to get the best result: Cook the steak indirect until it reaches about 115 internal, then take it off the grill and rest it while you build an afterburner-hot searing fire. Blot any moisture off the surface of the steak and paint it with a thin coat of vegetable oil just before you start the sear. It should take no more than 1-2 minutes per side.

Thanks for that link.

Jeff
    There's more than one way to skin a cat, but either way the cat's not gonna like it much.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123