Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is anyone else just about done with meathead?

TVWBB Olympian
    I have tried a few things here and there. Once I got the general idea of smoking and grilling, I went on my own. Don't care what anyone says is right or wrong.

I do love the Grill Marks off my Weber and my family and Friends do too.

18 WSM, Spirit S-320, Char-Broil Big Easy, Wife 1956 model

TVWBB Wizard
    You kind of have to look at the entirety of his argument about cast iron IIRC. What he's saying is that while they look pretty, nice diamond grill marks only give you the maillard reaction on a very small amount of the surface area of the steak. Additonally, they are a PITA when it comes to upkeep. I've had god only knows how many sets of Weber cast iron grates, which were later replaced by the newer porcelain coated cast iron grates, only to be replaced in the end with some nice, thick SS rod grates. The reason for the continual replacements ? The big chunks of rust that kept coming off.

And yes, contrary to some popular opinion, if you do want nice diamond grill marks, SS rod grates will do them very well.

BTW, you can go into quite a few threads here discussing Craycort grates for Kettles and find many people saying the same thing, that they are nice, but a PITA when it comes to upkeep.
    Ranch Kettle x 2, MiniRanch Gen2 Performer , SS Performer , OTG , OTS, Red MBH, JJ, SJS, Summit 650, Genesis Silver C , Genesis Gold C

He does have a most Excellent magnet showing meat temps.
    18 WSM, Spirit S-320, Char-Broil Big Easy, Wife 1956 model

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12