Small turkey on 26 rotisserie

Tom Chilton

TVWBB Fan
Cooked a 10 lb turkey on the 26 kettle with Cajun Bandit rotisserie. Used 1 1/2 charcoal starters of briquettes in a U shape, temp on lid was 400° when I started. It only took 1.5 hours to cook.

laPMBNI.jpg

kmAjZ6V.jpg

HyKVLM0.jpg

xK8L6s6.jpg

Seeing if pictures work.

Last edited:
That's a fine Turkey. I only do Turkey on my Rotisserie (all be it on my 22) and I've done it many ways, and what I have found out (YMMV)

Do a two zone (charcoal on only one side of the BBQ)
Keep your temp between 325 to 350

I have a 26" and I love it, but when I cook Turkey, I only use my 22" and it's always two zone, Rotisserie (note, my turkey is typically < 20 LBS) If I were done a > 20 LBS turkey, I would indeed be tempted to use my 26" but that would require buying a Rotisserie for it (which I would do in a second) :)

That's a fine Turkey. I only do Turkey on my Rotisserie (all be it on my 22) and I've done it many ways, and what I have found out (YMMV)

Do a two zone (charcoal on only one side of the BBQ)
Keep your temp between 325 to 350

I have a 26" and I love it, but when I cook Turkey, I only use my 22" and it's always two zone, Rotisserie (note, my turkey is typically < 20 LBS) If I were done a > 20 LBS turkey, I would indeed be tempted to use my 26" but that would require buying a Rotisserie for it (which I would do in a second) :)

Hi, thanks for the tips. A couple of questions:
1. Why do charcoal on one side?
2. How much charcoal do you start off with?
3. When and how much do you replenish charcoal?
4. Do you adjust the vents?

I’ve done turkeys on my 22 before and they’re always great. The skin is so much better than smoking it. I thought we were going to have a larger crowd and usually do 2 12 lb turkeys, but this year I wanted to simplify and do one bigger one. So that’s why I got the 26er (really I just wanted it).

But people cancelled so I ended up doing a smaller turkey anyhow. As my wife pointed out, I could have easily done the smaller turkey on the old 22 kettle.

Hi, thanks for the tips. A couple of questions:
1. Why do charcoal on one side?
2. How much charcoal do you start off with?
3. When and how much do you replenish charcoal?
4. Do you adjust the vents?

I’ve done turkeys on my 22 before and they’re always great. The skin is so much better than smoking it. I thought we were going to have a larger crowd and usually do 2 12 lb turkeys, but this year I wanted to simplify and do one bigger one. So that’s why I got the 26er (really I just wanted it).

But people cancelled so I ended up doing a smaller turkey anyhow. As my wife pointed out, I could have easily done the smaller turkey on the old 22 kettle.

1) Having the charcoal on one side only allows for better self basting that's inherited from using a rotisserie
2) I make my pile as huge as I can, but I only start with maybe a 1/2 dozen fully lit coals. I don't put my turkey in, until I have a pit temp > 300 degrees
3) I start replenishing charcoal when my pit temp drops < 325. I add approx 1/2 dozen fully lit charcoal as often as needed, my grates have the "add charcoal flap."
4) After my pit temp gets to 300+ degrees, I close my bottom vents to maybe 1/8th open. That's because the rotisserie ring allows for considerable amount of airflow and I strive to keep my pit temp < 375, preferably a constant 350

Truth be known, I used Thanksgiving as an excuse for buying my 26" but sadly, my 26 only sees use when I cook a massive amount of wings. The 22" with the rotisserie owns Thanksgiving at our place

I’ve always done traditional indirect method, when turning a bird, or anything else for that matter. One fully involved chimney split between two baskets, never a failure. Some better than others but, all pretty darned good!

Back