Pit master IQ install on 26er

Dustin Flavell

TVWBB Pro
Looking for some advice. I received a pit master IQ as a birthday gift this summer. I’ve used it a few times on my WSM and once on the ranch. Since I like to cook pork ribs flat the 26er usually gets the nod. With the 26 having an ash catcher the ATC manufacture recommends drilling a 7/8” hole between the ash sweep holes and the cooking grate.

Mind you I have no problem drilling holes in my 26...been done already. Anyone else do this and if so what would be the best placement of the hole? Typical SnL cooks on the 26 are coals banked on one side with fire bricks and a foiled charcoal grate. Should I place the hole one the opposite side of the typical banked holes or just below here the coals are? Or off to one side in case I bank coals on two sides of the kettle?

I installed mine using a pipe and cap since I purchased it second hand and it didn't have the kettle attachment. I put my hole pretty low in between 2 of the one touch sweeps.

6GLVZ6P.jpg

jiaodzY.jpg

Great thanks for that and the pictures. So since you don’t have the kettle attachment it looks like you are plugging the hose in directly to a 3/4”(?) nipple and then capping when not in use. Is that correct and does it seem to work okay. I like it. I might do this and skip the clunky kettle adapter piece that is kind of a PITA to attach.

Yep 3/4 nipple with a screw ring on the inside (can't think of the proper name). It works great just have to play around with the IQ to get the temp you want. Which IQ do you have?

The 110. It works great just can't go by pre sets and have to mess around with the cover for the fan. I normally leave it on 1

Back