new to the WSM

ColePell

TVWBB Member
I've been reading a lot about a "dry run".....any thoughts......i'm new to smoking......

thanks everyone!

No need for that. Buy a pork shoulder and cook it while you figure things out. A pork shoulder is super forgiving and you got to eat, right?

No need for a dry run, plenty of good advice and instructions in this forum and on the main tvwbb.com site. Enjoy your new smoker!

I agree with Pat. Most definitely, nothing in the WSM needs a burn off prior to cooking and a dry run will not simulate what happens when a cold hunk of meat is in place. So dig right in and make something to eat! Some smokers require a burn off, and their manual will state that requirement, but the WSM is not one of them. Welcome aboard and good luck.

Last edited:
No sense wasting good charcoal. But if your in a hurry,and don't want to wait for the time it takes most things to cook. Get some bacon and slap that on there. It only takes an hour or two. And if you havn't tasted bacon right off of a smoker. Well ,it melts in your mouth.

So wrapping the water pan.......what does wrapping the water pan in tin foil accomplish...heat deflector?

Wrapping a terra cotta saucer is for heat moderation set in the dry bowl. As you're new, you may want to just use water in it (no saucer yet). Later with more practise you can substitute a foil wrapped saucer IN PLACE OF water.

So wrapping the water pan.......what does wrapping the water pan in tin foil accomplish...heat deflector?

There will be varying opinions. If you plan on adding water to the pan I would not wrap it. If you plan on keeping the pan in place but not using water then I would wrap it in foil to make cleanup simpler.

First run, I wrapped the pan, ease of cleanup, and fired off Pork, most forgiving and when the first run is a hit (mine was) success just feels good! I have become I fan of the wrapped pan and wrapped terra cotta saucer (again, ease of cleanup) methodology. My brother, prior to his defection to the pellet side, was a water filling advocate. He also prefers a recipe with forty ingredients and fifteen paragraphs of directions, I am not cut of the same bolt. 25 ingredients and eight is my maximum, ten and five, much more to my liking. There are exceptions but, as my time lengthens, less, seems to be more attractive than more complicated.
I’ve gotten things too complex for myself lately. Back to the KISS method until Christmas!

Last edited:
i am driving my wife crazy :) the more you read the more complicated it gets. I have Friday off from work and its gonna happen!!!!

i am driving my wife crazy :) the more you read the more complicated it gets. I have Friday off from work and its gonna happen!!!!

It is not complicated and some people make it WAY more complicated than it has to be. That's why you should read LESS and cook MORE. Seriously. Just have fun using your WSM for a while.

Back