Long time WSM user, first time Turkey, with questions

DustinB

So Ive got a 14# bird, Ill be brining Friday morning for a Saturday morning smoke session. Im using Traegers Maple Bourbon brine recipe. Im going to be using Himalayan Pink Sea Salt in place of the kosher/table salt. The recipe for the brine calls for 1-1/2 cups kosher. Will the ratio be about the same? Its a fresh bird from the local butcher.

Im excited as hell to try this but Im also anxious/nervous. Aiming for 275-300 degrees and have to be at my in laws by 4. Id like a crispy skin, but I realize this probably wont happen b/c of the travel time to their house, which is only about 20 minutes depending on traffic. Making sure the wife is ready roll as soon as the bird is done is a separate issue all together. Im thinking of getting the bird on the smoker at 11 and Im still trying to decide between cherry and maple wood for the smoke.

WSM 22.5 using the Fireboard to keep track of the temps.

Any thoughts or opinions are welcome. Thanks.

I've been doing turkeys indirect on the kettle, but I think doing one in a 22.5 WSM with an empty pan might be about the same. At 300, you're wood-roasting it more than smoking it. For me, a 12# bird is 3 to 3-1/2 hours on the kettle, so your 11:00am start seems about right. Here's the rough outline of the kettle cook. The key bit is to cook the bird in a pan and start it breast down for an hour. That helps balance the doneness of the breast and thigh. I use pecan smoke wood and it has a nice nutty and sweet flavor that isn't too strong.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/recipes/poultry/brined-and-barbecued-turkey/weber-9139.html

My 12-pounder has been sitting in brine since last night. I'll take it out tonight and let it air dry in the fridge overnight before tomorrow's ritual sacrifice.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Jeff

Back