Does anyone know what year this classic Geneis could be?

Stefan H

TVWBB Guru
In a German grill forum someone stumbled across this old Genesis model he is wanting to buy. Could this be a Genesis 2 from the 80s? it has no caster wheels on the left side like the early gas grills from Weber. It looks like to be in gorgeous shape. Any of you guys have a clue what the year that could be?
I also wonder what that button is between the front burner and the igniter.
Thx
b541de05-cf48-48c1-99ee-9f767cfa4327-png.1825874

Last edited:
It's identical to the one I gave my son in law that I bought as a new store closeout back in 1992 so I suspect it was actually a 90/91.

Regarding that extra knob. I am not sure. I am also not familiar with that model, but I will just guess that maybe it used to have an extra side burner (Genesis 3) and was converted to a Genesis 2 with the extra side table instead and that knob was for the burner. But, that would be different than the later Genesis series where the extra burner knob was on the same part as the burner.

Guys thanks for all the answers. I will let the guy know. He is going to pick it up in a few days and then I will know more.

Well Stefan you said it was on a German Forum I am wondering if that button is a flame check button they did make some different stuff over there if you look at this picture you see the button these were on 5000's and 5500's I believe. Jeff had one on his got rid of it they have issues after awhile.

That would seem really early on to have that on that grill but maybe they did it overseas for some reason, it was a safety device.

http://i.imgur.com/oUiArgL.jpg

Thanks Brian. Yes indeed it looks like that button. Yes Weber did different things for different countries. But I guess this could be fixed if it does not work. The guy is really exited in buying it which I understand since the grill looks almost new. So I keep you posted and depending on his English knowledge I can refer him to this forum here.

Thanks Brian. Yes indeed it looks like that button. Yes Weber did different things for different countries. But I guess this could be fixed if it does not work. The guy is really exited in buying it which I understand since the grill looks almost new. So I keep you posted and depending on his English knowledge I can refer him to this forum here.

Your welcome, not sure it can be fixed they don't sell it anymore but it can be bypassed in the following thread Stephen described how to do it but maybe it still works on this one really looks well taken care of so might need nothing.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?65614-Genesis-5000-Manifold-problem&highlight=flame+check+device

Last edited:
Thanks. But I guess one could always use a manifold from a later Weber without that „feature“. I assume the manifolds from the later models do fit as well.

Back