My Thanksgiving 2018 Weber Gas Grill Cook

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
I wanted to start a thread for members to post what they cooked on their Weber gas grills for Thanksgiving this year. I am hoping to get some good posts all together in one thread. (feel free to start a personal thread as well).
Rules:
1. Has to be done at least partially on a Weber Gasser (Q grills qualify).
2. Can include any food from veggies and potatoes to Turkeys and Briskets to pies and pizzas, etc.....
3. Has to be for Thanksgiving dinner or what your country or traditions celebrate this time of year.
4. Pictures are not mandatory, but highly suggested and will earn bonus points. Pictures of before, during and after cooking, after carving/slicing, after serving are all welcome, but photos with the food actively cooking ON the grill are suggested (bonus points for those). Pictures of food after being eaten will receive no bonus points.
5. Recipies, instructions, tips, etc... are all welcome and worth bonus points

Bonus Points: The person who ends up with the most bonus points can cash them in with $25 to receive this cool TVWBB.com T-shirt: https://www.cafepress.com/mf/70643714/tvwbb_tshirt?shop=tvwbblogo&productId=686247564

Yah, bonus points are just for fun. But so is posting your Weber Thanksgiving cook. Post away.

I have 2 organic heritage breed buzzards thawing in the garage (nature's very own refrigerator). Taking them to daughter and son in law's house who have my original very old Genesis 2 I started with back in 1992. It is now a Genesis 3 tanks to addition of side burner. It will be getting one of the birds on the spinner. Other one is going into oven. I will be fixing a dry brine thanks to idea from Bruce. Only issue I face is 2 schools of thought. One says rinse the brine off other says no.

Well, Larry, my thought is that the brine is for brining, not seasoning. Especially if you intend to season the birds with something that has salt in it, you don't want the brine salt on it as well. I don't consider turkey a meat that I like to have a very salty flavor. I will be interested to see pictures and a review of how each bird turns out for you.

Well my intention is I am going to make a "seasoned" dry brine. I will be using dry spices and herbs along with some lemon zest so things like black pepper, red pepper flakes, dried sage, turmeric, fresh ground up rosemary, dried thyme, brown sugar, of course kosher salt, and a few other things. So I want this dry brine to actually "season" and salt the bird. Looking at various recipes and techniques and some say rinse some say no rinse. I'm so confused! I am leaning toward not rinsing.

I rinse, but if you are combining the brine and seasoning, you really don't have much choice unless you want to brine, rinse and then season just prior to cooking. Kee

Larry I am very interested in the reviews from the comparison of rotisserie vs. oven baking!

Rotisserie vs oven and rinse brine vs not rinse brine. However, you would realistically need 4 turkeys to test that accurately.

Have a good holiday everybody no matter what your making.

Usually its a turkey and a ham at our house, green beans wrapped in bacon, stuffing with sausage meat in it plus the mash and gravy with homemade crescent rolls made from scratch by my wife. 2 or 3 bottles of Cab on the table to wash it all down. Homemade Pecan Pie for desert which my wife makes and my sister in-law does the Banana Cream Pie from scratch. Probably gain 5 pounds.

Sorry Bruce nothing on the Weber this year.

I have never brined a bird but I always liked the results on the rotisserie. This time we soaked it a brine my wife found on the internet somewhere. With oranges and orange peel and thyme and Pepper. I am looking forward to get this on the grill. I need to find a way to stabilize some grease catcher above the burners. That stuff makes a good sauce.

Larry I am very interested in the reviews from the comparison of rotisserie vs. oven baking!

Yeah I am really unsure what I will do. For the time being I made a dry brine mix, coated the birds and put them in plastic garbage bags, back in their boxes and now they're chilling outside in the Wolf to stay cold cause no room in the fridges inside. One advantage of living in nature's ice box

That's good Bruce, I try to stay out of the kitchen for these family deals. Will sit and watch football with my brother in-law sipping some bourbon while the wife and my sister in-law do their thing, they like it better that way anyway.

Christmas however, just my family so want review's on the rotiss turkeys may finally get mine hooked up by then and spin one. The Genny and Performer will be getting some shared duty on the weekend.

It kinds of counts its Thanksgiving weekend. Either Sat or Sunday it will be wings on the performer with this recipe which I have done a few times and your Buffalo recipe. Will use the same method for yours also so let you know how they turn out.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?2794-Orange-Marmalade-Sriracha-Wings

Last edited:
Very cool. Those siracha wings look very yummy. I did a batch of Buffalo wings a week or so ago and have another batch worth in the freezer. I will be looking forward to your Wing Report this weekend.

Very cool. Those siracha wings look very yummy. I did a batch of Buffalo wings a week or so ago and have another batch worth in the freezer. I will be looking forward to your Wing Report this weekend.

The Sriracha wings are killers sweet with a kick actually going to spice them up with a bit more sauce next time if you try them just make sure you buy the brand sauce in the thread available at Walmart and Kroger's around here. I make the full batch usually store half in the fridge as its plenty depending on how many wings you are doing, I use Weber chili/lime for the dry rub.

I was a little skeptical when I first did them thinking an 1 1/2 seems like they would be overcooked but they are not, I do them indirect only at 350 need some foil underneath. 1/2 hour dry turn them over then another 1/2 hour dry, pull baste 15 minutes pull baste another 15 minutes. Going to do your wings the same way we will see.

OK, I guess I will be the first to post pictures. Here is my Thanksgiving day Turkey.

Right after putting it on the grill:

uNpfepw.jpg

About 45 minutes later:

BKFlFb5.jpg

Pictures to follow as the cook progresses.

I'm not grilling anything. The wife is cooking everything inside. Which is fine as she's a great cook.

But I did want to wish all of you a wonderful thanksgiving holiday. 😊

Back