Thread: 22 LB turkey

TVWBB Member

22 LB turkey

So picked up the bird and it came in a wee heavy. Im torturing myself on how to cook. I want to spatchcock for speed and even cooking. I have a 26" charcoal along with a 18" WSM. Most important to me is the gravy though and if i spatchcock I dont think I will get drippings to collect. I have also made a 12" extension ring for the 26" that i made to accept my rotisserie that i haven't even used yet. Its a fresh local bird and will be brine tonight. I guess if i roti it i can get drippings with a pan below. Any suggestions? Would love some input.
    Happy thanksgiving to all on here this has been a great source of info for me.
    Last edited by JimZ; 11-21-2018 at 04:47 AM.
    :26"blackkettle::22" blackkettle:wsm18::

TVWBB Diamond Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    I think if you have the option to do a rotisserie cook, that sounds awesome if your motor can handle it. I imagine it might be a long cook compared to spatchcocking. In the wsm you can put a pan on the 2nd grate to catch drippings. You will still get some drippings spatchcocking.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2