Score! Home Run, No, But a Solid RBI Double...At Least I Think

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I came across this Genesis 3000 (?) on OfferUp while traveling home in our van. It was a little out of my normal range, so I hadn’t noticed it. $50 asking price, accepted $40.

sR7HFjg.jpg

I expected to find all but one tray gone since that is what the picture showed but was pleasantly surprised to find both the upper tray and fold down and both lower trays pretty much intact. The best original Z brackets I have ever seen in Florida.

The picture also showed stamped steel grates. They were also in surprisingly good shape.

wPWCRLg.jpg

But my bigger surprise was when I found a set of OEM Weber original uncoated cast iron grates underneath them. A light frost of surface rust but very redeemable. My favorite Weber brand grates and getting hard to find!

muUZAuR.jpg

The rotisserie motor turned on but wouldn’t spin and there was no spit to go with it anyway. I have an unused Weber original rotisserie set I got in a trade to replace it with.

The flavorizer bars were all wrapped in aluminum foil. The one I had time to uncover was an expected porcelain coated steel, but it actually looked pretty good.

There was also an original Weber cover with the vents (Hard to find!). Unfortunately, time and the Florida heat have dried it out and shrunken it to where it no longer fits this long grill. Might still be useful for covering one of my regular size grill projects.

Finally, there was a corroded cast iron smoker box. It was almost literally buried:

KtvDKZL.jpg

It may look beyond Hope, but give me some time.

I have plans to use this grill combined with some other parts to create something special. IF I ever get enough time! Stay tuned:)...

Last edited:
Alright Jon, way to go on that score. Looks like you got a great deal for the money on that one. Keep us posted.

I came across this Genesis 3000 (?) on OfferUp while traveling home in our van. It was a little out of my normal range, so I hadn’t noticed it. $50 asking price, accepted $40.

https://imgur.com/a/sxv9zd5

I expected to find all but one tray gone since that is what the picture showed but was pleasantly surprised to find both the upper tray and fold down and both lower trays pretty much intact. The best original brackets I have ever seen in Florida.

The picture also showed stamped steel grates. They were also in surprisingly good shape.

But my bigger surprise was when I found a set of original uncoated cast iron grates underneath them. A light frost of surface rust but very redeemable. My favorite Weber brand grates and getting hard to find!

The rotisserie motor turned on but wouldn’t spin and there was no spit to go with it anyway. I have an unused Weber original rotisserie set I got in a trade to replace it with.

The flavorizer bars were all wrapped in aluminum foil. The one I uncovered was an expected porcelain coated steel but it actually looked pretty good.

There was also an original Weber cover with the vents (Hard tonfind!). Unfortunately, time and the Florida heat have dried it out and shrunken it to where it no longer fits this long grill. Might still be useful for covering one of my regular size grill projects.

Finally, there was a corroded cast iron smoker box. It may look beyond Hope, but give me some time.

I have plans to use this grill combined with some other parts to create something special. IF I ever get enough time! Stay tuned:)...

Your killing me looking for a 2000 as I have a Silver right side burner a 3000 would be fine also very hard to find. And a Redhead no less.

Jon, I’m really sending you a “ Thanksgiving load” of raspberries!
What a great find! I know it will be restored to its previous glory!
Strong work is expected, as usual!
I’m jealous of the finds some of you folks score!
I’m still a bit of a rookie with the restoration grill part of the fun. I’m still doing them for personal enjoyment!

Very nice. I have beaten the bushes around here for 2 years for a 3000 with no luck.
It will be my keeper grill when I finally find one.

Awesome find. If the frame is still good and the hardware is all there this is a great candidate for rehab. Especially at that price. This is a steal. I got a 3000 a few months ago. But the frame was too far gone. Now I have all the parts but no frame. But I haven’t given up yet to find a 2000 or 3000 frame.

NIce job. I am sure that's gonna clean up very nice for whatever destiny you have in mind. Just as a point of info. Those cast iron grates are not "uncoated" they are porcelain but the newer type that did not sit on top of the metal in a thick coating like the first iteration of them did. They are not rust proof as the older style but resistant. They're nice grates

Nice find and it found the best guy to do it up right. I got my 3000 two years ago and put my green 1000 into the frame and made it a 2000. Absolutely love it. I paid $35 for it and never realized at the time what a great deal it was.

Rich, I know what you are saying, but you really don't have to follow this forum to realize what a great deal that grill was when you got it for $35. Congrats.

Back