Why shouldn't I paint the inside of the firebox?

Dave in KC

TVWBB Wizard
I know is frowned upon here, but is there a specific reason why I shouldn't?
That Hi-Temp gray would make a firebox look much better after some grinding
than no paint at all.

I am pretty sure it is not healthy when the toxic paint gasses off. Just read the Safety Data Sheet you can download from Rustoleum for the High Heat Paint.
Plus your firebox will grease up in no time anyhow.

Stefan is spot on. It is a health issue with toxic gasses being released when the paint heats up. Secondly, it really doesn't need it if you cleaned it out well. It is going to become "seasoned" after a cook or two anyway.

I am wanting to make the best possible visual appearance for resale.
Most non-Webers are painted. What kind of paint are they using?

Some high speed industrial type paint.

Personally, if you want to make it presentable for resale, I think you should do what most do and go after it with an angle grinder and wire cup brush. Buyers love that clean silver bare meal look.

2KR2t48.jpg

Dave, what looks painted is normally enameled steel. The cheaper grills mostly have fireboxes made from thin sheet medal which enameled but not painted. Or SS sheet metal.

I get the desire to make it look good for the sale but you could always show your customers what happens to all grills by showing them the inside of yours :)

Remember “enamel paint”, is NOT enamel. Enamel is GLASS. Porcelain is Ceramic. People exchange porcelain and enamel with fairly reckless abandon.
Porcelain being ceramic is capable of tremendous temperatures, as is Enamel. The top on your grandmothers stove (if it wasn’t bare cast iron) was enamel, which fires in excess,of 12-1500 degrees depending on color.
I had an “eye opening” memory jog when I started my first “rehabbing” project. I spent twenty years in art material and paint sales, as soon as I had a first hand conversation with a very highly regarded restorer, I started thinking about finishes involved and why Grill companies use the materials they do.

Outgassing of paint (brake caliper, or whatever) volatile vehicles such as any number of toluene, benzines, methyl ethyl ketones are extremely toxic especially, under the kinds of temperatures achievable in a grill.

To cut to the chase,
Simply DO NOT PAINT interiors, ever! Period!

If you have access to a large enough kiln, enamel coating material, proper safety equipment, appropriate surface conditioning equipment, reglazing might not be too tough. The hard part is equipment accumulation, and waste disposal.

That’s all based on experience gleaned from an appreciation of glass and, enameling art.

Tim, the enamel wording is frustrating for sure.
My can of grill paint clearly says "Tough Protective Enamel"

dh7dsTtl.jpg

Stephan, this is gray area. I know the cheapo grills are not using porcelain enamel.
So, they are using this same type of paint????

Here is what the back of the rattle can says - (tough to read)

"Do not use on metal directly exposed to ames or in direct contact with food, such a grill grate."

HiytsQ7h.jpg

ycmpCNbh.jpg

I have to think "ames" is a typo for flames. Very unprofessional.
So at this point, I am left to play lawyer, and assume that directly exposed to
flames, would mean the inside of the firebox. They need to dumb this down
for folks like me. "Don't spray inside the firebox!"

Even the cheapo grills use the proper stuff to coat the inside of the fire box. The reason the fire boxes fail is twofold. Being "like glass" it does not expand and contract at the same rate as the steel it's covering. It gets microscopic cracks, corrosion of the underlying steel begins and the rest is history. The cheaper and thinner the steel the worse it is which is why the old first generation Summit grills did not exhibit the issue as quickly
Also for the record no Weber or ANY brand with a cast aluminum fire box comes painted internally and you will never find them "enameled" because the process really doesn't work on aluminum due to the low melting point of the aluminum

This is the brand new #96008 13 bar Genesis Cook Box I picked up last Summer-

54aQUcq.jpg

There is clearly paint/coating on the top half of the box as you can see where the bottom is bare aluminum.
Looks like the fine folks at Weber were not too worried about overspray.

Jeff

Most likely like most things Weber now it was made in China and they don't exactly have a good record of caring about public health

I was under the impression they were powder coated, which is an entirely different process.
Larry is absolutely correct about expansion coefficient causing failure, the better the initial firing of the enamel/porcelain the longer the finish will endure.
I’m going to get to work with the feast prep today so,
“Happy Thanksgiving!”

If we didn't live in a society where lawyers outnumber engineers at least 5 to 1 we'd be in a lot better shape! We have evolved from a society of makers and builders to a society of "takers". Not good.

If we didn't live in a society where lawyers outnumber engineers at least 5 to 1 we'd be in a lot better shape! We have evolved from a society of makers and builders to a society of "takers". Not good.

yes.... objects in mirror are closer than they appear... :cool:

Back