Pre-Brined Turkey Breast question

NAR_Simpson

TVWBB Fan
I received 2 turkey breast that have a 15% brined solution already. My question is, can I do the Apple brine on them but just cut the salt in half (or all the salt) or not even wast my time with the brine?

Thanks for the Suggestions.

Ryan

I cannot answer your specific question but last year I did a bone-in turkey breast via rotisserie on the Kettle and it tasted awesome. It was so good that I've done 4 at various times this year just for routine dinners. I did not brine; I just used some rubs. They were very moist and the skin was respectable. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!

After searching on the Web, I read that I can still brine but use 1/2 to 1/3 of the salt. The salt in the breast will equalize to the salt in the brine, while imposing flavors of the Apple Brine.
So that's my plan and we shall see how it goes.

Ryan

Last year (and again this year) I used the apple brine on a pre brined whole turkey, I believe with 8% solution. I took the bird to a family dinner with two other turkeys, one oven cooked and one deep fried. My "twice brined" turkey was the most delicious one there. I did not cut the salt content at all in the apple brine recipe posted in the cooking topics on this forum.

8dzcIS7

Last edited:
Kinda the question I have. I got a Honeysuckle bird basted with approximately 9.5% of turkey broth, salt, sugar and natural flavorings. Can I still put it in a brine overnight or is it not necessary? Thanks.

John, my Turkey Breast are in the Apple Brine now and tonight I will take them out to air dry. I just cut back on the salt just to make sure they would not be too salty. Good Luck!

Ryan

Ryan, I'll be here Friday and let ya know how it went.. I hope I didn't use to much salt in the brine. . It'll be alright. Always a lesson learned..

John, My birds turned out perfect, Not salty at all. I always use melted butter and Weber Poultry seasoning mixture Under and On top of the skin.

Here is one of them carved off the bone.
M3iiWDL.jpg

Ryan

Last edited:
Just thought I'd send a quick 'thanks' to everyone who responded to this initial question. I had the exact same one and then thought, "I bet TVWBB forum has an answer." Bingo! (By the way, I'm an American now living in Canada so our Turkey day is just around the corner. Don't think I'll ever get used to that!)

Just thought I'd send a quick 'thanks' to everyone who responded to this initial question. I had the exact same one and then thought, "I bet TVWBB forum has an answer." Bingo! (By the way, I'm an American now living in Canada so our Turkey day is just around the corner. Don't think I'll ever get used to that!)
No reason that you can’t Celebrate both! I would! 🎉🍗

No reason that you can’t Celebrate both! I would! 🎉🍗
Well I was able to talk my wife into that for an few years but she eventually told me I had to pick one. :)

If it’s of interest to anyone else, I did use the apple brine recipe on an enhanced bird and it was delicious (though I did also cut the salt in half just to be safe).

Back