Weber Ranch Operation Tips

Derrick Orlando

TVWBB Member
Greetings,

I’ve got a Weber Ranch that I picked up used a few years back off CL. I’ve only used it for chicken legs and the entire cook was over in 30 minutes.

On Thursday, I’ll be spatchcocking two 14 pound turkeys and cooking them on the Ranch.

Would someone mind sharing the vent positions and charcoal set up to maintain 350 to 400 for 90 minutes without having to add more charcoal?

I’ve got two full size chimney starters and for this cook, I think I’ll stick with Kingsford instead of lump.

I’ve done a single turkey on my 22 with a SnS for the past couple of years with great results, but I’d like to get some use out of my Ranch this year since I’m cooking two birds.

I did a few searches on YouTube and the forums, but couldn’t find anything regarding specific how-to steps on actual operation.

Thank you!

Derrick

I would set it up in classic”indirect” format, one chimney of kbb on each side and drip pans down the center. Cook with vents wide open to bottom down to maybe half if thinks get too hot.
Full disclosure, I have not used a ranch grill but the theory is still the same.

I've had the Weber Ranch for a few years now, but I haven't cook on it frequently enough to give accurate advice.
I am still treating each cook on it as an adventure....
however, everything I've cook or smoked using the Ranch has been a success.
As Tim stated above, using the Ranch isn't much different than a regular kettle... only using more charcoal.

The Ranch, not having a thermometer on it like the newer kettles, I do use the Thermoworks SMOKE to monitor my temperature inside the Ranch, adjusting the bottom AND top vents to regulate.

Derrick, good luck tomorrow with your bird cook, and please post photos, we'd love to see those Ranch cooks!

I also have a ranch and agree with Jim each cook is an adventure. Last month I did 3 pans of lasagna on my ranch and tried to maintain 350 for about two hours. And this is what I learned:

Classic style indirect like Timothy mentioned with coals on both sides using fire bricks. I layered the bottom of each side with some unlit coals and then used one chimney of fully lit coals per side. So two chimneys of fully lit. I opened only one bottom vent, the one that was closest to being between both sets of lit coals. And open the top vent fully.

After an hour of steady ~350° I started loosing temp. And ended up opening the other two bottom vent. Which didn’t help my cause. I adjusted the top vent to about 1/4 open and that seemed to help and at least hold my temp at ~300° for the rest of the cook.

The ranch can be fickle and from most my cooks I have learned that you can’t treat it like a WSM. Well at least not the top vent. Next time I cook on the ranch at 350° I think I will not fully open the top vent and use it instead of the bottom vents to control the temperature. Also more unlit charcoal too.

For what your trying to accomplish I might try 3/4 unlit each on both sides and 1 chimney per lit for each side. Open bottom vents and play with the top vent to dial in the temp.

Good luck and most important have fun.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Back