Hey guys got some turkey temp and wsm questions

JoeMercado

Hey guys new to this just bought myself a 22.5 wsm and pumped to use it, I’ve been researching and researching and I can’t figure out what temp I should smoke my 29 pound fresh turkey I wanna do it at 265 using a partyq with smoke thermometer but I need some insight I see that it’s recommended or this site to do it somewhere between 300 and 350 but everywhere else seems to sit 250-275 is there any push back smoking that low didn’t really wanna go over 300 ?? Please help

The higher temp of 300-350 is to have crispier skin. Are you planning on using water in the pan or just wrapping the pan in foil? The reason I ask is that with water in the pan and a 29 lb. turkey, you may not be able to get the cooker much over 265-275 anyway. I think at 265-275, and if you brush the skin occasionally with some type of oil that you will be fine. It's going to take a while to cook that big bird so I would consider a sugarless rub so the skin won't get too dark. Good luck.

I agree, easy on any sugar. Thats a massive bird!!
39 cents a pound around here this week, I’m thinking I might pick one up for later at those prices!

Hey guys new to this just bought myself a 22.5 wsm and pumped to use it, I’ve been researching and researching and I can’t figure out what temp I should smoke my 29 pound fresh turkey I wanna do it at 265 using a partyq with smoke thermometer but I need some insight I see that it’s recommended or this site to do it somewhere between 300 and 350 but everywhere else seems to sit 250-275 is there any push back smoking that low didn’t really wanna go over 300 ?? Please help
Did realize I said 29 pound lol
Sorrry I meant 20 pound turkey my apologies

- - - Updated - - -

I didn’t realize I typed 29 pound bird stupid auto correct I meant 20 pound bird

Aw,Maan! I wanted to see that monster!
I was at a feasting party where someone brought a 25 pound organic bird, my brother boned the thing out and they were going to roast it the following day, we had already fried five 12 pounders, fifty pounds of (sweet and russet) potatoes, ten of shrimp, bags of cauliflower, mushrooms, Oreos, we fried everything, probably 150 people! It was a helluva party!

Any ideas on the temp for the wsm I wanna go around 265 275 with water in the pan 20 pound bird

You can smoke the turkey at 265 to 275 degrees with water in the pan. It will take a long time to cook. There is a recipe in the book "Smoke and Spice" by Cheryl and Bill Jamison that recommends smoking a turkey at 200 to 220 degrees and they say allow a cooking time of 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hour per pound of turkey.

Just picked up the fresh turkey today coming in at 18 pounds so I should be able to smoke it low and slow gonna brine tonight are dry tomorrow let’s see how this sucker does

Back