Old Style Flip Up Tables...Can Anyone Help?

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I am trying to get better information on the older Genesis grills with flip up table where the rod just gets pushed into the frame to hold it up. This is the type BEFORE they came out with the metal slide piece and the plastic clip that it rides on.

Can anyone post some clear pictures of how this older style worked and looked? It would be especially helpful to have some pictures of the underside. What happens to the rod when the table is not extended up and the rod is not pushed into the frame?

Any help and pictures would be very appreciated:)!

The rod just hangs there/ When the table is down the rod is flush to it. When you lift the table up the rod dangles under it until you shove it in the hole. My old grill is with son in law now so I can't post a photo

Actually will try to dig up the clip I have and take a picture. There is a clip that goes into the back leg the hole and the clip has a hole in it for the rod, when the table is down it plugs into the clip then obviously when you raise the table you take it out of the clip and move it to the hole in the front leg. It doesn't dangle but I would guess a lot of those clips are missing and I don't believe the rod is long enough to plug into that back hole.

I am in on this thread.

If someone that has a grill with that system for the flip up table could post a quick video of the process of raising and lowering the table and exactly how that rod works it would be greatly appreciated. I have wondered for a long time how that works. It just has always seemed like an extremely cumbersome and inconvenient system that I have always changed over all my grills to the slider system when rehabbing them. I am wondering if maybe I was missing something on the older style.

I am in on this thread.

If someone that has a grill with that system for the flip up table could post a quick video of the process of raising and lowering the table and exactly how that rod works it would be greatly appreciated. I have wondered for a long time how that works. It just has always seemed like an extremely cumbersome and inconvenient system that I have always changed over all my grills to the slider system when rehabbing them. I am wondering if maybe I was missing something on the older style.

Your not missing anything the slider is way easier I had the manual system on the 1000 I did over but found the slider and converted it.

I need to dig it out somewhere since I could put it on the 1100 which I am working on so you can see pictures of it I did keep the rod and the clip the rod is slightly bent but you will get the picture when you see it.

The back leg has a hole for the aforementioned clip. The rod gets inserted into the clip when the table is not in use.

Refer to figure 29d

45047102795_5006b19d78_b.jpg

Yah, just seems like a royal PIA when you want to put the table down. You would have basically get on your knees to do if the grill was back against something.

I agree the x000 version is a lot better, but if you want to do a restore of a 1-5 model and make it more authentic, then the rod JKim posted diagrams of is what you need. Marc Siebels was kind enough to text me some pictures of his. It looks to me like the clip that holds the rod when the table is down could be fairly easily fabricated from one of those Weber stainless tool holders. Just a shorter end and a hole drilled through it.

Actually Jon its not just the hole I see your idea but it must be held in place so it does not move. On the clip hard to describe its got a tongue on each side which plugs into the frame hole the bracket extends to the front of the grill like you noticed so the rod goes in there but the clip does not move up or down because of the tongues and the grip on the frame.

Thanks, Brian! So many little issues. It is almost like trying to restore old cars. That does make sense, so even if I started with one of those clips I would have to come up with a way similar to what Weber used to keep the clip from sliding out of place. Maybe a very small set screw would do it.

I got that clip around somewhere will dig it out and take a picture of it for you, its a thicker gauge if I remember correctly.

Also the rod was slightly bent from years of use really was not sure it was all that strong for anything to heavy but it did work, the rod is also slightly longer than the one on the slider so its got more flex to it.

I would think you would need more than a set screw probably have to drill a sheet metal screw into it thru the frame to hold it in place. I kept mine in the event I ever wanted to add a table to the right side but honestly what Jkim did with the slider I would think is a better solution.

Last edited:
Thanks, Brian! So many little issues. It is almost like trying to restore old cars. That does make sense, so even if I started with one of those clips I would have to come up with a way similar to what Weber used to keep the clip from sliding out of place. Maybe a very small set screw would do it.

uboL9Bs.jpg

MP4PNNx.jpg

YqFFYOB.jpg

Jon, here are a few pictures of the clip see that finger I was talking about one photo has the tool hanger beside the clip.

I think those clips are a bit thicker metal than the tool holder ones as well. Again, I think the best source for those rod holders is going to be from donor grills.

Bruce yes they are it would be hard to make the tool holders work but I don't discount what anyone can do here as we have all seen some amazing ingenuity. I guess my thing is unless it was a keeper that you wanted so original you had to have it the slider works so much better but to each his own.

Back