Chicken without Water Pan?

Tom P in Austin

Is it necessary to have the water pan in the Weber Smokey Mountain at all? Couldn't we just leave it out to cook chicken at high heat? Or is it necessary for heat distribution? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
It is certainly possible to leave it out entirely. I'm going to remark that it's probable you will achieve a bit of a different flavor [profile], though I have not yet done a smoke in my WSM's without at least a dry water pan. I know, I know; this is akin to writing a review on Amazon without owning the product. My experience with a different flavor comes from my Pit Barrel Cooker and it has to do with drippings marrying-up with the lit coals. Regardless of what I smoke, I get a different taste between the PBC and the WSM with the water pan in place. Sometimes, I like the different taste but I don't want it on 100% of my smokes. Welcome aboard and good luck!

Here is another, recent thread on this topic: https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?75877-Smoking-On-The-WSM-With-No-Heat-Diffuser

I learned to barbecue on a Weber kettle many years ago (1960s), and my favorite meat was chicken. There was no water pan involved and it was consistently terrific. I just got a WSM and I'm wondering why it would be any different. Thanks for the reply.

By the way, all those years ago Weber included some recipes with their kettles. One was for an olive oil-based basting sauce which included (I believe) rubbed sage, garlic powder and chopped parsley. I make a reasonable facsimile to this day, but I'd love to find the original recipe to see if mine is faithful.

I never use the water pan for any cooks, and remove it completely for all poultry cooks. For whole birds I spatchcock 99% of them. I am also a firm believer in cooking poultry hot and fast.

Back