Part to my gasser ?

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
I bought my Spirit E-310 as a floor model closeout . It was already assembled. When I got home, this was inside. I've looked all through the owners manual and see nothing about this part. I'm guessing its some kind of electrical ground ????

What is it, where does it go ?

KLwaiH3.jpg

Usually when I see those they are attached to the side of the grill. I don't know exactly where on your specific model.

That thing has always been a pet peeve of mine. Weber knows that their
igniters are so prone to failure that actually made the match holder and
included it with the grills when they packaged them up.

Why not simply make a better igniter?

Lynn,

On the Genesis they hang on the inside of the right door. Does your Spirit have an opening for it?

Like Dave said, the starters fail a lot:mad:, so a lighter with a long extension can be a good friend and a lot easier than fumbling with their goofy match holder. Even hanging on the door it just gets in the way and turns rusty. I might save it - inside and dry - for resale but that is about it.

That thing has always been a pet peeve of mine. Weber knows that their
igniters are so prone to failure that actually made the match holder and
included it with the grills when they packaged them up.

Why not simply make a better igniter?

Are the igniters that prone to failure? My experience has been the opposite. The igniter on my genesis A was just replaced last week. I think it was the original igniter and so was 15 to 20 years old. My other grill is my father's 1000 and he owned the grill about 20 years and the igniter worked all those years. He never had to replace it. The one I put in is now 3 years old and still going strong.

Now the non weber grills I owned in the past -
the igniters on those grills were REALLY failure prone. Most gave out in a year or two.

I like the old school clicker type. (Cheap- $6 or so.) Not a fan of the newer battery operated ones. (Not cheap. $25)

Lynn,

On the Genesis they hang on the inside of the right door. Does your Spirit have an opening for it?

Like Dave said, the starters fail a lot:mad:, so a lighter with a long extension can be a good friend and a lot easier than fumbling with their goofy match holder. Even hanging on the door it just gets in the way and turns rusty. I might save it - inside and dry - for resale but that is about it.

Ahah !

The chain had been broken off the hook. I never noticed this hook hanging from the grease tray.

qWMBOqm.jpg

Are the igniters that prone to failure? My experience has been the opposite. The igniter on my genesis A was just replaced last week. I think it was the original igniter and so was 15 to 20 years old. My other grill is my father's 1000 and he owned the grill about 20 years and the igniter worked all those years. He never had to replace it. The one I put in is now 3 years old and still going strong.

Now the non weber grills I owned in the past -
the igniters on those grills were REALLY failure prone. Most gave out in a year or two.

In my experience, it is not the igniters themselves that go bad, it is the spark electrode inside the grill that does. I have taken apart dozens of weber grills that I have bought for rehab. Most have had the old style push button and 9 of 10 of those have always been still in good working order. The electrode inside the cookbox is basically the opposite. The problem is that you have to buy a new push button to get a new electrode (gas collector) for the inside.

Now, regarding the newer battery operated ones....those are another story. They are extremely prone to failure and of the ones that I have received with the rehab grills I bought, about 3/4 of those have been toast and of those that were not working when I got them, I was able to get a couple of them working with some finagling. Many of those use the same electrode/gas collector and then you have that problem as well. But some of the newer ones have electrodes on each tube making them
just that much more complicated and prone to failure.

If I owned a grill with the battery igniter and it still utilized the old style collector/electrode and hence crossover tube, I would replace it with an old style push button igniter if it ever failed. The Q grills use the same igniter buttons and I would do the same with them.

The cost and reliability of the newer battery ignitions make them a bad option in my opinion.

Yep, I would agree. The electric ones are kind of sweet while they are new and working, but don't count on that for too long. I had to buy one for the Q3200 I had for a while. All three Broilmasters I have worked on also needed new electronic starters. On the other hand, that TEC grill I flipped had a rotary piezo igniter. You could feel the charge, but the inside wire part was extremely heavy duty and had two wires. I got all new parts and wires because the prior owner had already had to replace it and used the wrong parts. I tried adjusting the distance between the two wire, etc. but only got the grill to start with it one time. Never a visible spark, although TEC said that was not necessary. I sold it telling the buyer (re-flipper) that it was easier to just use a lighter...

Biggest problem I've found with the battery ones is oxidation at the contact points where the battery goes. On my 2007 Genesis I broke one just pushing down too hard to get it to spark. Since then the replacement has worked well. I find every so often I have to take the battery out, use a pencil with eraser down the hole and rotate it like trying to start a fire to clean the contact. Upper part doesn't seem to be an issue since you can rotate the battery in the button creating a fresh contact. Never seems to be the collector in the firebox.

Yah, just seems a lot easier and less hassle to push the button down once and it works every time with the old style. The convenience of the newer style just doesn't make up for reliability in my eyes.

If you do have an electric starter I recommend ponying up for lithium batteries that last and supposedly are resistant to leaking and corrosion that do in a lot of electric igniters.

Our 2009 E320 which gets used almost every day has it's original electric starter which is working fine. I replace the battery every six months as a precaution.

Back